[SOLVED] Can going i/o-shield less cause any sort of issues?

awong918

Prominent
Jul 14, 2018
Specifically with overheating cables? Is that a thing?

I built a Silverstone SG13 machine. Obviously with such a compact form factor, the airflow isn't the greatest. So I decided to remove the mobo io/shield in order to allow the case to breathe a bit more. However, I noticed that the cables plugged into the rear are quite warm. I'm not sure if this could pose any issue? Case temp's around 40C.

Solution
No one's brought up the issue of overheating cables, so I guess it's fine?
I noticed my braided mouse cable has been wearing off, not sure if that's the heat from my pc.
Keep an eye on the power cable if it heats up it could be melting inside and end up bursting up in flames,it will be smelling very bad (like melting plastic) for a while before this happens.
If it only warms up as much as the the hot air coming from the blower then there is no problem.

awong918

Prominent
Jul 14, 2018
I noticed my braided mouse cable has been wearing off, not sure if that's the heat from my pc.

Keep an eye on the power cable if it heats up it could be melting inside and end up bursting up in flames,it will be smelling very bad (like melting plastic) for a while before this happens.
If it only warms up as much as the the hot air coming from the blower then there is no problem.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS