[SOLVED] Can Google Home control a smart plug on a different SSID?

pilotsh

Distinguished
May 1, 2014
Hello All,

With all my smart plugs and lights I am fast saturating my current router and devices are dropping on an off. If I got another router and made an additional network (SSID) for my extra smart plugs and lights, would I still be able to use Google Home to turn them on and off, given that they will be on a different SSID to Google Home?

If not, and all smart stuff has to be on the same SSID, what is the solution for a smart home once you hit 32 connections (that is the largest number of SIMULTANEOUS connections on ONE SSID I can find, if anybody knows of a router that can handle 64 simultaneous connections on one SSID on 2.4 band please let me know too)?

Thanks for any thoughts, surely I am not the first smart home person to saturate my network! :O

Solution
50 devices doing nothing does congest your RF. Each SSID has overhead and each device has overhead because it's constantly telling the AP it's still there. You don't want to add a second SSID in the same zone for the same network. You don't want to get another router.

You might need an access point if devices aren't close to the current one. getting some devices on another channel might help you. It wasn't a great choice to go wifi with that many devices. even if you optimize it better it will likely still suck. You need really expensive access points to handle that many clients. unifi PRO ap might be worth a shot. You can download a wifi app on a smartphone to test RF congestion.

zwave/zigbee use a different rf band. it may be the...

kanewolf

Titan
As long as they are on a flat network (same subnet) they should be able to. The SSID should be independent.

But I will say that I have no google home (nor would I, for security reasons) so I can't confirm.

There are access points that allow hundreds of simultaneous connections. It just depends on the quality of the hardware you have. On 2.4Ghz, performance will probably stink with 50 simultaneous connections.

pilotsh

Distinguished
May 1, 2014
As long as they are on a flat network (same subnet) they should be able to. The SSID should be independent.

But I will say that I have no google home (nor would I, for security reasons) so I can't confirm.

There are access points that allow hundreds of simultaneous connections. It just depends on the quality of the hardware you have. On 2.4Ghz, performance will probably stink with 50 simultaneous connections.

Well, while I wouldn't allow Google to control my banking, I'm happy to let it turn on my kettle while I am still in bed- bonus! I understand the whole 2.4Ghz thing, and it frustrates me, but I have not been able to find at least one single smart plug that will operate on 5Ghz. And there are many, many brands out there.... not a single one works on 5Ghz.

I also think 50 connections with smart plugs or lights is not an issue.... they aren't all streaming movies.... ie they aren't chewing data, they just need to be 'live' so I can control it on demand- the whole point of smart home devices...!

Also still keen to hear if ANYONE out there has made smart devices work with google when they are on a different SSID to the Google device itself. :)

50 devices doing nothing does congest your RF. Each SSID has overhead and each device has overhead because it's constantly telling the AP it's still there. You don't want to add a second SSID in the same zone for the same network. You don't want to get another router.

You might need an access point if devices aren't close to the current one. getting some devices on another channel might help you. It wasn't a great choice to go wifi with that many devices. even if you optimize it better it will likely still suck. You need really expensive access points to handle that many clients. unifi PRO ap might be worth a shot. You can download a wifi app on a smartphone to test RF congestion.

zwave/zigbee use a different rf band. it may be the best long term solution to switch over if you can't get anything to work.

Solution

pilotsh

Distinguished
May 1, 2014
After Extensive discussions with several router vendors, I found out it is possible with a D-Link DWL-6620APS.
I will post back once I have had a chance to set everything up.... (it may be a few months from now)

kanewolf

Titan
After Extensive discussions with several router vendors, I found out it is possible with a D-Link DWL-6620APS.
I will post back once I have had a chance to set everything up.... (it may be a few months from now)
That D-Link access point is not unique. You could add a Ubiquiti or Engenious or any manufacturer that is designed for office WIFI rather than home.