[SOLVED] can gpu break motherboards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2020
Watch the colorful language, please. No f-bombs. Thanks.
My old rig recently broke out of the blue. I've done many things including replacing motherboard and CPU, however while I'm waiting for parts I decided to test my GPU in another system which was working fine. However, after installing the GPU now the system won't power on. I tried two different power supplies but no power (cpu fan isn't spinning).

Is it possible that my GPU can break a motherboard when I install it into the PCI-E slot?
( The 1st new motherboard I got also broke and wouldn't power on. I ordered a replacement which does power on though, after having the gpu in, however it still didn't work. )

EDIT: I'm stupid, i forgot to turn on the power supply at the wall. haha. Also I'm stressed from two motherboards ive bought not working so far -_-

EDIT 2: After getting it running (fans spin, HDD spins), I'm getting no beep to indicate successful POST, and I'm also getting no graphics output ie I can't see/get into the BIOS. This happens whether I have the GPU in or I use integrated graphics. I've tried resetting the CMOS.
Thus, my question still stands; can inserting the gpu cause the motherboard to go all (wonky)? Because a friend said I can try the GPU in his system, but I don't want to break it, especially since he has a £200 mobo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
No, if properly inserted a GPU will not physically damage a motherboard. However, it can wreak havoc with the drivers and turn off the default internal graphics if there was not a GPU in the build previously. You always need to remove the old drivers before inserting the new GPU and then install the drivers.

Check to insure that nothing else was knocked loose, any needed GPU power cables are attached well, and try resetting the bios again for starters.

RealBeast

Titan
No, if properly inserted a GPU will not physically damage a motherboard. However, it can wreak havoc with the drivers and turn off the default internal graphics if there was not a GPU in the build previously. You always need to remove the old drivers before inserting the new GPU and then install the drivers.

Check to insure that nothing else was knocked loose, any needed GPU power cables are attached well, and try resetting the bios again for starters.

Solution
Jan 3, 2020
My old rig recently broke out of the blue. I've done many things including replacing motherboard and CPU, however while I'm waiting for parts I decided to test my GPU in another system which was working fine. However, after installing the GPU now the system won't power on. I tried two different power supplies but no power (cpu fan isn't spinning).

Is it possible that my GPU can break a motherboard when I install it into the PCI-E slot?
( The 1st new motherboard I got also broke and wouldn't power on. I ordered a replacement which does power on though, after having the gpu in, however it still didn't work. )

EDIT: I'm stupid, i forgot to turn on the power supply at the wall. haha. Also I'm stressed from two motherboards ive bought not working so far -_-

EDIT 2: After getting it running (fans spin, HDD spins), I'm getting no beep to indicate successful POST, and I'm also getting no graphics output ie I can't see/get into the BIOS. This happens whether I have the GPU in or I use integrated graphics. I've tried resetting the CMOS.
Thus, my question still stands; can inserting the gpu cause the motherboard to go all (wonky)? Because a friend said I can try the GPU in his system, but I don't want to break it, especially since he has a £200 mobo.
It can if you try to rip it out when removing it instead of pressing the switch
Quoted : Linustechtips

May 5, 2021

what would you mean by this? I'm quite curious because my current build is an apu build and I've just bought a gpu. what drivers exactly do i need to remove before plugging in my gpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS