[SOLVED] Can GPU Handle being under full load 24/7/365 (Intense OC 5700XT)

Apr 7, 2021
Hello, I was wondering if I can safely keep my PC on for months under full load. What are the risks? I've run it under full load for the past 48 hours to gather temperature information and my 5700XT would hover around 65C constantly with the fans at about 73%, if I would limit the max fan speed to 50%, it will spike up to 75 C. Is it fine if the fan stays at around 75% 24/7 and what are the chances of it failing? How many years will the GPU most likely last? Also, other components were rather cool, my CPU will not be used so that's not an issue.

NOTE: I know that it will be more power consuming, but fortunately I don't pay for electricity so shouldn't be an issue
Also If you'd like to know, I'm running a TXM650W at 220v

Last question, Is there any software that detects if a fan failed or goes to 0 RPM and automatically shutdowns the PC even if the temps are fine, just incase I leave the PC unattended

OC Settings: https://prnt.sc/116j1d6

Solution
With the RX5xxx series you have a little more to look at than just the temperature listed in MSI afterburner. What are the junction/edge temps? What is the temperature of the GDDR6 memory? These temperatures are pretty important as well, and can be monitored with a program such as hwinfo. From my experience with an RX5700, just because the GPU is at a reasonable temperature does not mean these other temps are always in check.

Assuming all temperatures are safe, and the overclock is 100% stable, it should be reliable, but it might not have the same lifespan of a card that was not overclocked and run at 100% constantly.

While GPUs can handle being under load 100% of the time, I have had a few ex mining cards which have been ran hard and...
PC components are designed to run 24/7/365.

"What are the risks? "
That it will fail or wear out just like if you didn't run it constantly.

" Is it fine if the fan stays at around 75% 24/7 and what are the chances of it failing? "

Yes it's fine...and the chances of it failing are 100% as it will eventually fail.

"How many years will the GPU most likely last? "
Impossible to answer...but if the electronics didn't fail....the fan bearings would go eventually. A few years wouldn't be out of the question.

Reactions: spentshells
With the RX5xxx series you have a little more to look at than just the temperature listed in MSI afterburner. What are the junction/edge temps? What is the temperature of the GDDR6 memory? These temperatures are pretty important as well, and can be monitored with a program such as hwinfo. From my experience with an RX5700, just because the GPU is at a reasonable temperature does not mean these other temps are always in check.

Assuming all temperatures are safe, and the overclock is 100% stable, it should be reliable, but it might not have the same lifespan of a card that was not overclocked and run at 100% constantly.

While GPUs can handle being under load 100% of the time, I have had a few ex mining cards which have been ran hard and sometimes they can be unreliable. Sometimes they can be rock sold, on the other hand. In general, overclocking a card and running it at 100% may decrease the lifespan versus if it was used less or left stock.

Solution
Apr 7, 2021

While GPUs can handle being under load 100% of the time, I have had a few ex mining cards which have been ran hard and sometimes they can be unreliable. Sometimes they can be rock sold, on the other hand. In general, overclocking a card and running it at 100% may decrease the lifespan versus if it was used less or left stock.
Junction temp is at a stable 77C, Memory Junction Temp at 88C, which is rather cool, the OC is stable has been running for days, and I am aware of the lifespan reduction , Do you think it can last more than 3 years at least?

Junction temp is at a stable 77C, Memory Junction Temp at 88C, which is rather cool, the OC is stable has been running for days, and I am aware of the lifespan reduction , Do you think it can last more than 3 years at least?
It's possible
I have motherboards and other electronics that have been running 24/7/365 for 30 years with shutdowns only for replacing drives, fans and PSUs.