Can GPU Overclocking cause buggy Glitches?

Kyle_4

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
So I just set up my 6600K to 4.2Ghz stable as could be. Probably could go higher, but i think that is more than enough for me at the moment, have not had to play with the voltages.

I got my GPU (MSI GTX 1060 6GB) with after burner to 2252 Mhz. Using AfterBurner.

In Afterburner my Core Voltage is at 0%
Power Limit is at max 108
Temp linked is at 92
Core Clock is 150
Memory Clock is 500

I was actually able to get it to 160 with a stress test, Card will get to 60C fast, but once the fans kick in im staying at 60-61 maybe 62.

At 160 Witcher 3 Ultra Hair works on AA8 crashed.
At 150 it is working.

Im assuming this is because it needs more voltage.

My only issue is the graphics seem to be a bit buggy, as in graphics are disappearing and repairing all over the screen (very very very slight, hard to get a screen shot it happens in like 2-3 frames.

I've noticed it is happening on my wallpaper as well.

Is this due to the overclocking? Maybe not getting enough voltage to keep up with the clock speed?

Not really sure, kinda new to overclocking, but I do understand that Mhz can go up, but at a certain point you need more Voltage, and there is some point where you don't want to much voltage. Keep an eye on temps etc.

1. What % of voltage would you recommend to stay away from for longevity of the card?

2. Can a Overclock cause buggy graphics, instead of just crashing?

3. whats the avg OC on the card? (did I win the Silicon lottery? >D)

Edited for typos

Solution
1.) slide it all the way to the right, you'll lose no longevity. Also, se your power limit to the max, unlink poewr and temps, set temp to 83.
2.) Yes. The "bugs" are called artifacts and can appears as black voids, misaligned 3D objects and textures, random splothes of color, wierd boxy ness, and whats happening to you now. Adding voltage or backing off will fix this.
I think you have won the silicone lottery, most hover around 1700 core lcok, but that can't really be said untill its stable.
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2749337/safe-gpu-overclocking-guide-2016.html
This has a lot of good stuff, its how I got my GPU OCed, but I reccomend firestike or time spy as opposed to vally.

jacobnestell

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2013
If you want a percentage for longevity of the card I'd say no overclocking and jeez you really over clocked that thing. I have no idea about the average overclock on the card but 2252 mhz seems pretty high for a card that idles around the 1700 mhz range. If you didn't get the glitches in the system before the overclock then the overclock is obviously your issue.

Kyle_4

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
From what I've read, is that the avg is OC that most of these cards can hit is 2100. Im just kinda assuming the silicon worked in my favor.

Your right I did not get glitches, but I've run into quite a few glitches since I installed this new Hardware and did a fresh Windows 10 install. Just trying to find out if that is a common thing to happen with OC'd GPU's.

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
1.) slide it all the way to the right, you'll lose no longevity. Also, se your power limit to the max, unlink poewr and temps, set temp to 83.
2.) Yes. The "bugs" are called artifacts and can appears as black voids, misaligned 3D objects and textures, random splothes of color, wierd boxy ness, and whats happening to you now. Adding voltage or backing off will fix this.
I think you have won the silicone lottery, most hover around 1700 core lcok, but that can't really be said untill its stable.
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2749337/safe-gpu-overclocking-guide-2016.html
This has a lot of good stuff, its how I got my GPU OCed, but I reccomend firestike or time spy as opposed to vally.

Solution

jacobnestell

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2013

Yeah with to high of an over clock you will get digital artifacting along with some other stuff, Just try to bring down the clock slowly until it gets more stable. Obviously something being pushed farther than its factory limits will have some issues just keep trying until you find a happy medium also try to find any new driver updates because that is a relatively new card!

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
I think you should start adding to the core voltage (put the slider all the way, the manufacturer of that GPU put it there because they know that is a 100% safe setting for their cards) and if the artifacts remain start backing down. If they go away, go up antil they come back

Kyle_4

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015

Think I should go higher than 500 on the memory slider? Not sure how much this would affect performance.

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
I wan't talking about memory, I meant core voltage.
Here's how I OC a GPU:
1. Set my core voltage to max allowed by Afterburner (its safe and wont lower card lifespan)
2. Set my power and temp limit according to card (for a GTX 1060, un-link the two, set power limit to as high as it will go and temp limit to 83)
3. If you haven't already, install 3D mark Firestrike (it's a far better and more realistic test than valley, like recommended on the guide I posted)
3. Start to up the core clock.
Do this by raising it in increments and monitoring your temps each run-though. I usually start out by adding 100, then 50, then 25... If any of these jumps prove to much, I make a smaller one.
To check if your OC is stable, look carefully at the graphics each run-though, if you notice some artifacts, you've gone too high. Keep an eye on your temps also.
When you finally reach that magic clock speed where if you raise it just one or two more and you get artifacts, back off 5 MHz for stability.
4. Then do the memory clock this same way.
5. Stress test. If temps go to high or you get artifacts, back off in increments of 5.
6. Brag about how high it went

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
If you get images like this (although these are ultra severe examples) during your stress testing, back off on core clock
badgpu.jpg

screen0032fh.jpg

If you see stuff like tis in your stress test, back of of memory clock in tiny increments. Again, ridiculously severe examples.
graphicscardmemory3.gif

background010000.jpg

de_dust20002.jpg

Kyle_4

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015

Sweet thanks alot you were super informative, that link makes alot of sense. My biggest fret was upping the voltage too high, I know the Mhz isnt to big of a deal it will either work or it won't but once more electricity starts flowing is when it gets scary. From Overclocking my CPU, I read alot that you can put to many volts into it and boom! Wasn't sure if the same principle stood for the GPU, makes sense that using the AfterBurner program that it would not be possible.

Thanks again. My main goal was to get upwards of 60FPS in Witcher 3 with HairWorks on, I Achieved an avg of 80 FPS on Max all settings. Still got a bunch of tweaking to do but this is looking good.