Question can gpu temptrature hurt performance?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well yeah. At that high of a temperature, it's borderline thermal throttling. 90C is the throttle temp on most of these cards.
Over 85C is too hot. It sounds like you have a cooling issue.
Nvidia's Gpu Boost is temperature sensitive; while something like 80C is still fine, the card will not boost as high compared to, say, 65C.
What is your case?

Sep 29, 2019
Well yeah. At that high of a temperature, it's borderline thermal throttling. 90C is the throttle temp on most of these cards.
Over 85C is too hot. It sounds like you have a cooling issue.
Nvidia's Gpu Boost is temperature sensitive; while something like 80C is still fine, the card will not boost as high compared to, say, 65C.
What is your case?
What can I do to lower the temps..?my case apperently has the best airflow available (cm h500p)but that sure isn't doing anything,should I maybe add more fans..?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What can I do to lower the temps..?my case apperently has the best airflow available (cm h500p)but that sure isn't doing anything,should I maybe add more fans..?
Glass or mesh front panel?
Did you remove the power supply shroud? While they do make the case look nicer - hiding the cables and whatnot - they've been proven to hinder gpu temps some.
You've already got the standard front to back fan setup, with a couple of fans at the top for exhaust?

Sep 29, 2019
Glass or mesh front panel?
Did you remove the power supply shroud? While they do make the case look nicer - hiding the cables and whatnot - they've been proven to hinder gpu temps some.
You've already got the standard front to back fan setup, with a couple of fans at the top for exhaust?
It's the mesh verison,my friend assembled the pc so idk if he removed the psu shroud or not,I've got the standard two 200 mm intakes front and one exhaust back,no extra fans

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's the mesh verison,my friend assembled the pc so idk if he removed the psu shroud or not,I've got the standard two 200 mm intakes front and one exhaust back,no extra fans
Just look through the window and note whether you can see the psu from there or not - if the shroud is there, you won't see it.
2x 140mm top exhaust fans would help with temps, since the card dumps most of its waste heat inside the case.