Question Can GPU thermal paste go bad if the card is not in use

Jun 6, 2022
I have an HP Compaq 6005 SFF which I recently applied a GT 710(yes ik bad card but its good enough for my gaming needs rn). That particular GT 710 was sitting on my friends shelf since about September 2020 since he had a good card but bought it by accident when he didn't know Vega graphics were much better than the card. I've been noticing that the card temperature steadily rises up to 95c while gaming! For that reason my games suffer fps drops and makes it extremely annoying for them to be enjoyable. My CPU stays at a reasonably alright 69-70c while playing the same game (both measured with MSI Afterburner). Could it be the thermal paste? Or something else(the card doesn't have a fan but a heatsink).

TLDR: Installed almost 2 year old unused GPU, temperatures are insane, not sure who the culprit is

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Thermal paste dries out only when it's subject to multiple heat cycling. Not from sitting idle in storage. Though if you're leaving the card in a hot and dry environment, devoid of humidity, then yes it can cause the thermal paste to dry out somewhat(though not entirely).

FYI, the GT710 isn't a gaming GPU, it's geared towards people who need a display output who have systems that lack the option to replace the PSU and/or their platform. In fact, these lower end GPU's were designed for office systems.

Jun 6, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Thermal paste dries out only when it's subject to multiple heat cycling. Not from sitting idle in storage. Though if you're leaving the card in a hot and dry environment, devoid of humidity, then yes it can cause the thermal paste to dry out somewhat(though not entirely).

FYI, the GT710 isn't a gaming GPU, it's geared towards people who need a display output who have systems that lack the option to replace the PSU and/or their platform. In fact, these lower end GPU's were designed for office systems.
Thank you for the reply, I know the card isn't meant for gaming but I'm mostly doing very light gaming(Mostly Minecraft, TF2, F1 2012) and it's a much more viable option from my igpu(very bad ATI hd 4200). I think I'll try to repaste the card when I get the chance but otherwise idk

Jun 6, 2022
This is what one looks like:
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...ocphy=9011560&hvtargid=pla-435681265321&psc=1
The trick is to find a half height version that will fit your case.
Perhaps you could secure a small 80mm fan to exhaust air out of the slots.
Ah yes, I've seen these before, but I doubt my case would fit one as the bracket looks too tall. About the 80mm fan, I doubt my case has a 4-pin connector/a fan connector in the mobo in general. Honestly this problem's driving me crazy and i just cant seem to figure if its the airflow or the thermal paste

Last edited: