Question Can GPU underclock reduce the instability caused by CPU bottleneck?

Jun 24, 2022
Hello all. I have i5 6600 and rx 570, 16gb ram, ssd.
I am having cpu bottleneck in some cpu heavy games and getting fps stutters. Is it possible to underclock gpu in order to fix fps stutter?
I knoıw i will lose performance but can underclock reduce workload on cpu to fix stutter?.
I am playing at 768p with amd VSR to 1080p.
I dont mind losing performance in some games in order to have stable playing experience.
I had GTX 1050 before and didnt have stutter problem in same games despide have to play low settings

Last edited:

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
I don't pull any of that. Maybe you should setup your GPU drivers to better handle the game, like enable Enhanced Sync, kill the V-Sync in games.
AMD FX-8370 CPU here, same GPU. Nvidia default settings may carry you better, but AMD is the superior GPU when comparing parallel cards.
Try better settings in driver and driver profiles per game.

Rather than underclocking the gpu try an fps limiter. Let’s say you average 70fps, try setting a limit of 50 or 60 fps. Big swings in fps, such as when a cpu limitation is causing fps to plummet momentarily really hurt the gaming experience. A stable but lower average fps can feel much better than a wildly fluctuating higher average. I used to run an fps limiter on my old i5 4670k setup.

Reactions: 7medd

KyaraM

Admirable
I am having cpu bottleneck in some cpu heavy games and getting fps stutters. Is it possible to underclock gpu in order to fix fps stutter?
I knoıw i will lose performance but can underclock reduce workload on cpu to fix stutter?.
I dont mind losing performance in some games in order to have stable playing experience.
I had GTX 1050 before and didnt have stutter problem in same games despide have to play low settings
I mean, you can underclock your GPU, yes, but you might just as well send back your RX570 and reinstall the 1050. What you could do is getting a CPU upgrade. Many Skylake boards should be able to support Kabylake CPUs after a BIOS upgrade. I would look at the website of your motherboard and see if your does, and if yes, get a used Kabylake off Ebay or something. You could also see if you find a 6700(k), too, that should work as well. Or play at real 1080p instead. Or limit FPS. Several options.

How did you uninstall the old drivers? Make sure nothing remains.

Reactions: Emir_kyz
Jun 24, 2022
I mean, you can underclock your GPU, yes, but you might just as well send back your RX570 and reinstall the 1050. What you could do is getting a CPU upgrade. Many Skylake boards should be able to support Kabylake CPUs after a BIOS upgrade. I would look at the website of your motherboard and see if your does, and if yes, get a used Kabylake off Ebay or something. You could also see if you find a 6700(k), too, that should work as well. Or play at real 1080p instead. Or limit FPS. Several options.

How did you uninstall the old drivers? Make sure nothing remains.
I used DDU in safe mode. Yea i will try to get new cpu as soon as possible. Until then i will try ur suggestions. It is only in one game so not that much of hurry ig

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021

have you tried this?

if those games have V-Sync. I suggest turning off V-Sync. Might help make things more stable.

Last edited: