Can graphic card cause computer to crash

pandastew

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
So I have been using my rig for about 2 years - 3 years without any issue, and just yesterday it starts giving me problem without any prior warning. Here are some of the symptoms: HDMI port that I have been using to connect with for 2+ years stopped working and I had to replace with VGA (another HDMI cable did not work), playing Dota 2 randomly causes computer to crash yesterday (it was fine before), no updates was recently done to my gpu, watching hulu caused the computer to freeze and displayed Quick BSOD before fritzing and making my speaker to make grey sound, watching a random tv show on windows media player suddenly freeze midway and after being frozen for 3-5 min, the video briefly play at fast forward speed and then freeze again while sound play again before my mobo displayed a red light (I opened my casing) and restarting my PC but errored at BIOS screen. Is this a gpu, mobo, or ssd issue?

Solution
check all the driver start by the ati for the video card first i give you a link and install the ma config plug in it will detect missing driver in your system use the translator for is and this is all free http://www.touslesdrivers.com/

pandastew

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

I ran it and this is what they gave me

Crash dump directory: E:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Tue 1/31/2012 6:59:35 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: E:\Windows\Minidump\013112-20982-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0x78C8)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800744F010, 0xFFFFF880045AE8C8, 0x0, 0xD)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: E:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys
product: AMD driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Tue 1/31/2012 6:59:35 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: E:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (0xFFFFF880045AE8C8)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800744F010, 0xFFFFF880045AE8C8, 0x0, 0xD)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: E:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys
product: AMD driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
check all the driver start by the ati for the video card first i give you a link and install the ma config plug in it will detect missing driver in your system use the translator for is and this is all free http://www.touslesdrivers.com/

Solution