Question Can GTX 10606GB bottleneck i7 8700

ZENCER

Prominent
Jun 1, 2019
Hey , few months ago I bought new system with GTX 1060 6GB and i7 8700
but im not getting the performance I was expecting and I was wondering if maybe the case is that my GPU is bottlenecking my CPU
thanks for help :)

ZENCER

Prominent
Jun 1, 2019
No , not really. Your CPU can handle a more powerful card if you want increased performance. 1060 6G is a decent mid range card.
Like , I`m having really issues with CS:GO , I bought that setup for that game and all of my windows/game settings are good for performance but still I have some clear performance issues there

ZENCER

Prominent
Jun 1, 2019
You will need to define your performance issue. Are we talking stutters, low FPS, network lag?
Its kind of low fps but i mean is that its mainly happen when im in middle of a fight or somthing all of sudden my FPS is dropping below 200 when a friend of mine who have lower pc never drop below 250

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
If you are really wondering how your system is performing, you might consider looking into MSI Afterburner. It allows you to setup an overlay in your game that shows what your GPU and CPU are doing, including high temperatures that might be causing the system to throttle your performance.

ZENCER

Prominent
Jun 1, 2019
If you are really wondering how your system is performing, you might consider looking into MSI Afterburner. It allows you to setup an overlay in your game that shows what your GPU and CPU are doing, including high temperatures that might be causing the system to throttle your performance.
And how could I know if my system is actually bottlenecked ? Because I littearly tried every fix and guides for fps on the internet and nothing helps im really clueless right now

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
You have to do your own digging to first to determine if something is holding you back. Then you can ask for recommendations on how to solve it. Right now it's all guessing.

If your CPU is at 100% usage while you game, then you need to figure out why that is. Maybe it's normal. Maybe it's not.
If your GPU is at 100%, then maybe its simply maxed out. You can combat it by lowering your in-game graphic settings.
If your CPU temperature is at 100ºC, this is too high and the system might be lowering the clock speed to bring the temps down, affecting overall performance
If your GPU is sitting at 100ºC, then the graphic drivers are going to slow the GPU clock speed down to try and keep the card lower, and this will affect your game performance.

Mind you, 100ºC is an example. I only used it because most components would scream murder at that temperature. Throttling can happen at much lower temps, depending on the hardware.

Get this tool: https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner
You will have to look up some guides on how to configure the on screen display. You Tube has lots of tutorials. Be aware that this is primarily an overclocking tool, so don't mess with settings if you don't know what you're doing.

Apr 2, 2019
as others have stated, their are a number of things that could be causing this. Its hard to determine with out knowing more details. Do you do/have any monitoring software on your system? Is it performing well temperature wise/have good cooling/airflow? If your card is overheating, this could cause thermal throttling which will drop your FPS. How much RAM do you have? what is your internet speed? open task manager while gaming and keep an eye on your CPU usage. You want your GPU to be in the 90%+ usage, this shows it is working as intended. IF your GPU usage is low, that is an indicator that your CPU is bottle necking your GPU. Also look at your CPU usage. with the 8700 I would imagine it would be well under 50% usage.
Download the MSI tool mentioned above, it also comes with a software called Riva statics tuner. You need to download this as well. Once in there, just click on the settings icon, and go to on screen display. From there you can choose which features to display.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Can ya list other specs like ram capacity and speed and Windows version and what drive it's on. What is the specs of the other system you're comparing to?

Is this pc store bought? Build it yourself?

Was Windows installed only on this computer?

What Nvidia driver version are you on? Have you tried an older version ie 3xx series before turning cards were released to see if 10 series apparently still perform best on? If your monitor has Freesync and use Gsync on it, remain on the latest drivers as 3xx don't have support for that. If your monitor is Gsync only, can try an older driver.

v388.71-
Windows 10
https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/128421/en-us

Windows 7/8.1
https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/128419/en-us

---

Do you use Geforce Experience to install drivers or optimise graphics settings?

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
can that happen ? alot of people saying to me that i should get 1070 to get full performance and the 1060 is bottlenecking my CPU can that happen ?
What you think is slow, someone else will think is fast. And what you think is fast, someone else will say it's slow. In order to know where you stand, you have to state your expectations. If you want 60fps, the 1060 is fine. If you want 300fps, the 1060 might not be a good idea.

This isn't really a guessing game, it's a science. You have to do your own testing, and lots of it, using tools to determine what is going on. Did you run any of the tests that have been suggested above?

Make things easy for yourself and watch this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6qAoDquTgo