Can Hard Drives Make Ocassional Clicks When Not In Use or Idle?

arz

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
I have a brand new Toshiba X300 5 GB 72000 RPM "Performance Drive" that's used for storage of large data files. I hardly access it, and according to task manager no programs are reading/writing in the background on that drive. The active time is consistently at 0 according to Task Manager. The issue is that I keep hearing a small click once every 30 seconds to a minute and was wondering if this is from the drive. I scanned the drive for errors and it came back fine.

Do drives not in use still move and make noise occasionally? The only other thing I can think of the click coming from is the Kraken X62 cooler I use, but that doesn't seem likely as it sounds more like a hard drive click. People have said there have heard clicks with the Kraken that are caused by air bubbles.

It's not a big deal but obviously I'd prefer it didn't click now that I've expected to hear it.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
Yep, hard drives makes all sorts of noises all sorts of times. This and the earth is round are pretty well known and established facts.

BTW how do you determine for a fact that the clicking is from the HDD and not your Kraken? Both are making intermittent clicking sounds, so how do you separate them out?

arz

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010

I'm not 100% certain, I will unplug the power the HD and see what happens later today when I have the tools necessary to open the case.