Can hear mouse and moving windows in my speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

pariah224

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Hello everyone,

Im taking a shot at the community here to see if maybe i can be helped. I am having an issue that i have researched extensivley and have not found an answer. When i move my mouse, or i scroll a window, or i move a window, i hear a scratching or buzzing sound in my speakers. I have found many topics about this issue, but have not found a solution. Heres what makes mine unique i think. I hear it in my onboard audio, i hear it in my firewire audio, and i hear it in my USB audio. I have ruled out any of the 3 causing the problem. I have ruled out my speakers because its in headphones as well. I have tried a different power supply and it is still there. Its not my monitors causing it, i have disconnected those. There are no open lines in my mixer. I have tried using a ground lift on my power strip which didnt fix it, so i think that rules out ground loop?.

Now heres where it gets wierd. I have an nvidia gtx 580, and if i uninstall my video drivers, the problem seems to be greatly reduced. I have checked all the nvidia control panel options and havnt found anything. I just dont understand this at all.. so im looking for outside input. Here is my system spec

Asus p8z68-v pro Mobo
intel 2500k processor
Evga gtx 580
corsair h1050 power supply (very good power supply, so a cheap crap supply isnt my problem)
realtek onboard audio
presonus firepod firewire recording interface
rig kontrol 3 pedal (what i used to test usb)
logitech g5 gaming mouse
razer tarantula keyboard

If anyone needs any more info let me know..

Oh also, the only time i dont hear it is through my optical triton headphones. help!!!

kayvonx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I've had that occur as well. I'm betting it's EMI from the graphics card. I was able to overcome it by installing a PCI sound card, even a cheap one, just to avoid having the noise.

pariah224

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
oh yes, i forgot, i installed an old soundblaster audigy gamer in my pci slot, same noise. I also switched the pci E slot for the vid card.. same noise. Driving me crazy! i feel like ive tried EVERYTHING and nothing seems to be working. I brought my computer to my dads house, and it seemed like it wasnt anywhere near as loud.. which made me think maybe it was from my outlets.. but wouldnt lifting the ground from the surge protector fix that?

hairystuff

Distinguished
It may not be the soundcard it may be the speakers, the way to figure out is to use a pair of headphones or move the speakers around (mainly the amplifier bit) to see if it affects the buzzing noise, the other thing is to try a usb soundcard and see if that helps.

Stones42

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Definitely sounds like an interference issue. I get a similar noise if I use the speakers built into my monitor. I had the same issue on an old pc when I used the front audio connectors. Both of these were caused by interference. Do you have access to another video card or motherboard to try? Do you have any shielded/balanced audio cables you could use?

pariah224

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
i think i have another video card i can try, no motherboard tho... i just dont understand how installing video drivers can cause this? could anyone have any input on that one? lol

kayvonx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
The EMI (electromagnetic interference) probably originates from your graphics card. Installing, or even upgrading, your video drivers can cause the graphics card to behave differently, both physically (fans) and electronically.

pariah224

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

so if thats the case? im kinda stuck with it? or is there antyhing that can be done so the noise doesnt get into my speakers or recordings?

pariah224

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
ok so here is an update. I tried swapping out both my gtx580 with an older card, same issue. I also can hear the whining noise coming from inside the case. I know that is called coil whine. well, i thought myabe it was my power supply, but i swapped that out with an old reliable power supply i used to use that i dont remember ever giving me trouble, and the same noise is there. WHen i put my ear on the power supply, it kind of sounds like its coming from it, but it also sounds like its coming from my motherboard.. Is it possible that the motherboard is causing the whine, and its making my other components whine? I dont wanna RMA my mobo i.. i cant have that kind of downtime.. i work from my PC. But if this sounds familiar to anyone and you think it could be my mobo, i have no choice.. thanks.

*Another Update*
at davcons request, i tried another mouse usb port. and had the same noise, i tried my frontside and had the same noise. I tried my wifes usb wireless laptop mouse. no noise!!. There is still interference when i move my mouse, but its greatly reduced, and its not the whine, it just sounds electrical. I dont wanna stop there, because i still think there is a problem with some part of my pc to be whining so loud. But, this is the first progress ive made in a week.

*YEt another update*
I bought a new logitech g500 mouse today... installed it.. the squeel is back.. so for some reason my usb wireless doesnt cause it but both logitech mice do. i dont get it!!

JohnnySixString

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
I've been searching literally all day and night and stumbled across this. Was a real fix ever found??? I also just built a pc using an Asus motherboard, p8z68-v le, and have the same problem; I can hear the computer through the speakers and/or my firestudio project firewire interface. Every little thing I do, open a program, move a window, scroll the mouse...whatever, the speakers pick up the hard drive,etc noises. When I open the DAW program Reaper, it makes a high pitch squealing noise on top of the others until I close it. I was hoping it was just a ground loop problem, but that didn't seem to be it. I switched between 3 different mice,one wireless, using different usb ports and it still does it. Bios is up to date, so was the realtek audio driver, but I updated it anyway. Still there.

It doesn't matter how or what speaker's are connected either. Both the front and rear speaker/headphone jacks do it, with everything conceivable to do with sound muted or disabling the audio altogether. Even with the realtek drivers uninstalled. It also does it through my firewire interface too - even when it's not turned on! When the firewire cable is plugged in, with the pc speakers disconnected, it sends the same sounds through the powered monitors connected to the interface. However, when I have pc speakers connected to the rear/front audio jacks and I plug in just the firewire cable, the pc speakers gets slightly quieter for some reason. But still doesn't go away. I also tried removing the firewire card, but that didn't change it.

Is it a hardware issue then? The motherboard maybe? I really have no idea, but it's made my new pc essentially useless to me. Sure, if you don't have the speakers turned up too loud you really can't hear the constant humming. And if you don't move the mouse at all or open any programs you won't hear the 56k modem-like irritating sounds. But turn it up a little or use higher powered monitors...forget it....it just pisses me off hearing it and trying to record will be impossible.
:fou:

I'm at my wits end and in DESPERATE need of help before I tear it apart and start RMA'ing everything! :cry:

Asus P8Z68-V LE mobo
Intel i7-2600k cpu
OCZ-ZS 550W psu
SIIG NN-E20012-S2 firewire card (TI chipset)
onboard sound/video
presonus firestudio project firewire interface

pariah224

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
No i never did get this figured out.. just got used to it i guess. I wouldnt be suprised if its the asus motherboard.. thats really the only component i couldnt check without buying a new one. If you RMA your board, or get a new one, let me know if it fixes it. Ill do the same, but i dont forsee me buying a new mobo any time soon

imkey

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
The reason for the squeal is due to voltage potential difference between the usb ground and the audio ground.
There is a reason single point grounds are used in sensitive electronics to reduce this ground loop.

This is a design flaw either in the motherboard or back/front panel header which shorts usb ground to audio ground.

There are few things that can be done to address this. A way to possibly reduce the current flowing from usb ground to audio ground to add a impedence such as a 100 ohm resistor on the audio ground line. This is akine to putting up a road block to prevent traffic from usb ground traveling to audio ground.

Current will want to travel towards lowest charge (gnd) using the most open paths possible.

jmv103

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Hello, I had the exact same problem , looked for help nothing .
I am no computer expert but what solved my issue was that the sound on my speakers was at the max while the sound setting on my PC relatively low which I guess increased the S/N ratio that my speaker amplifier was seeing ... so i turned my PC sound to max and my speaker to the min level that gave me enough sound and voila ! no buzz !!!
Hope it helps you as well.

pixelpusher6

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012

Don't know if you are still having this problem but thought I might be able to help. Ok, I had this exact same issue when using my CM Storm 5.1 Surround Headset plugging directly into my Creative X-Fi PCI card's analog outputs (using the other set of cables and only plugging into 1 USB port for power) and my Logitech G500 Wired Mouse. If there was no sound being played, whenever I moved my mouse or clicked a button I would hear a interference sound or buzzing. I figured it must be related to interference between the two devices and like another poster commented probably related to the ground. I did find this kind of strange because the headset was only using the USB port for power, and trying different combinations of ports did not help. Anyway what I did was I used a powered 4 port USB hub that also plugs into a wall outlet and I plugged the USB connector from the headset into this hub. Completely fixed the problem - crystal clear sound now. I'll have to do some more testing and reverse the connections i.e. plugging the mouse into the USB hub and the headset USB into the back of the computer. If anyone tries this method I think it is necessary to use a "powered" USB hub that receives power from the wall instead of one that only gets power over the USB bus. I got mine from Best Buy for $20-25 and it's a Belkin. Good Luck.

InvalidError

Titan

USB ground is usually tied to case ground (either directly or through motherboard headers which are themselves tied to case ground through the IO plate and studs) which is in turn connected to electrical ground which the amplifier is likely connected to as well.

Even if you put some sort of impedance between analog and digital ground on the motherboard, the two get shorted out through electrical ground at the amplifier's end which closes the ground loop. The amplifier whine in this case would be the voltage difference between analog ground, digital/case ground and amplifier ground.

If you want to reduce ground noise in such a situation, the first thing to do/try is connect all equipments to a single common grounding point such as a power bar or even a #14 gauge wire directly connecting the amplifier's case to the PC's case. Good amplifiers often have a ground wire binding post for such uses on their chassis. On the PC's end, crimp/solder a fork or ring style connector and screw it under one of the PSU's screws.

rated_zero_hero

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
I have an ASUS MoBo and a GTX 580. upon reading this I went and grabbed my powered USB hub. It is no longer an issue. I had to move where the hub from one USB port to another and it is dead quiet. NO MORE SQUEAL.

Others have gotten more technical so I'll just throw this out there. it worked for me.

pixelpusher6

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
I'm glad I was able to help someone else out with this problem, I was really excited when I was able to fix it with a powered USB hub because it was irritating as all hell. If I am using my CM Storm Sirus Surround Headset and using analog inputs from my Creative X-fi and the USB port just to power the headset, I'll usually disconnect any cables connecting the powered USB hub to a USB port on the computer. I would recommend people to try to separate their speakers, headsets, etc. completely from the motherboard / tower if possible. What I found strange though is when connecting the CM Storm Sirus using the USB connectors instead of going into the analog inputs on my X-fi, there was no noise no matter how I connected it.

aks90hay

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

Thank you mate it helped me....I was also having the same problem..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.