Question Can I access the same RAID 1 configured hdds from Ubuntu and Windows 10?

Feb 27, 2019
I have 2 x m.2 drives on the motherboard, 1 running Windows 10, the other running Ubuntu. I have 2 x 5TB hdds and I'd like to put them in RAID 1 so data is safer in event of failure however I don't know if I can do this in such a way that both os can use them or if RAID is os specific. This is a brand new machine so no current data to worry about, but I'm about to start a big project in cancer research so would like to make sure the machine is properly setup before I generate too much data. Thank you to anyone who can help with this!

You should be able to link them in a software RAID 1/mirror within Windows Storage Spaces, accessible by typing 'manage storage spaces' in search bar...

You can always set them up, store a single text file or two on it, and then reboot into Ubuntu to see if the file(s) can still be seen/read in the S2D (Storage Spaces Direct) volume....

Reactions: Olpps
Feb 27, 2019
Thank you for the quick reply! Does that mean I shouldn't configure them for raid in hardware, just in software? Sorry but I'm new to raid entirely.

You could try it to see for yourself, it will be educational if nothing else...

RAID 1 is merely a pair of drives with identical data, and, it's possible the MB chipset created RAID1 will still be recognized with Ubuntu.

Try it, let us all know....! (I don't have enough internal drives available to test for myself with my Z270)

Feb 27, 2019
Waiting for delivery atm: machine being custom made and was asked if I want RAID configured in hardware but didn't know what that meant and they have no experience with dual booting systems so just needed idea if I have to get them to do RAID on hardware or can do it myself later. Think I realise now it's easier if I do it myself in software after installing Ubuntu, as you suggest. Soon as it arrives I'll try and let you know! Thanks for the help :)

D

Deleted member 14196

Configure it in hardware if you can otherwise if it’s software than Ubuntu Won’t have any idea how to write to it most likely

TRENDING THREADS