[SOLVED] Can i add 2×16 ram sticks 3200 cl16 to existing 2×8 ram sticks with 3600 cl18 in x570 aorus elite and ryzen 5 3600x

Knadim

Commendable
Oct 10, 2020
Can i add 2×16 ram sticks 3200 cl16 to existing 2×8 ram sticks with 3600 cl18 in x570 aorus elite and ryzen 5 3600x

Solution
Not likely, and not a good idea.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
There is a definite possibility that the two kits will not play well together.

Ryzen depends on fast ram. Your suggestion would result in running at 3200 speed.

How much ram do you need?
If 32gb will suffice, buy a 2 x 16gb kit of 3600 speed that closely matches your current ram.
You will get a guaranteed 32gb. If the old ram plays nice, you get 48gb.
If not, sell the old ram or keep it as a spare.

Ram is cheap enough, if you can use lots, then perhaps a 64gb kit would be best.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ultimately, no one can answer this.

Memory is sold in packs for a reason, and only the memory modules sold in the same pack are guaranteed compatibility. This is because the manufacturing process for the modules change frequently and sometimes substantially. So theoretically you could have 2 of the exact same memory modules, but from 2 different packs, that don't behave well with one another. This is why manufacturers only guarantee compatibility in the form sold (from the same pack).

I'm not saying it never works, it's just a gamble, and the last thing you'd want to do, is spend a lot of money, to find out they don't work well together. This is also why modules in the same pack are slightly more expensive.

3200 cl16 to existing 2×8 ram sticks with 3600 cl18
These will likely downclock to 3200 too.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Can i add 2×16 ram sticks 3200 cl16 to existing 2×8 ram sticks with 3600 cl18 in x570 aorus elite and ryzen 5 3600x

Hi @Knadim

@PC Tailor is spot on.

It won't hurt your system if you do install them both. Worst case is your PC either won't boot or will only show the 16GB of your existing 3600. Also as @PC Tailor points out, if the system does turn on and runs stable, your current 3600 will be under-clocked down to the 3200's speed.

Keep in mind that just because your PC may turn on with both the 3200 & 3600 installed, does not mean it'll be stable. If you are doing any work, be sure to save & often.

Even if you bought another 2x8 3600, there is no guarantee it'll play nice with the RAM you have. Even if it's the same brand, make, model & speed. (Though there is a slightly better chance of them working together)

Then again, you might end up with 48GB of RAM and everything is peachy. :)

Reactions: PC Tailor
Not likely, and not a good idea.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
There is a definite possibility that the two kits will not play well together.

Ryzen depends on fast ram. Your suggestion would result in running at 3200 speed.

How much ram do you need?
If 32gb will suffice, buy a 2 x 16gb kit of 3600 speed that closely matches your current ram.
You will get a guaranteed 32gb. If the old ram plays nice, you get 48gb.
If not, sell the old ram or keep it as a spare.

Ram is cheap enough, if you can use lots, then perhaps a 64gb kit would be best.

Solution

Knadim

Commendable
Oct 10, 2020
I think I made a mistake in the first place for buying 16 gb only when I built my pc on last February.
I am mostly using it for gaming with autocad and structure rendering.

Now most of games are asking for 16 gb and it will not take too long to ask for more.
For working on autocad and rendering it is fine but I am afraid from the new versions to ask also for more ram.

What do you think?
Buying now same 2×8 rams identically to mine or buying higher ones or i stick with mine for now.
Note: in my areas it is very hard to sell rams or to return new one as I am buying from amazon shipping International.

Wait until you actually need more ram.
Check the task manager/memory tab.
If your hard fault page rate is anywhere near zero, you have sufficient ram for now.

"do not do today what you can put off for tomorrow. Tomorrow, you may regret your premature action."