Question Can i add 2 more sticks of RAM to my existing ones?

Kiril Nochrin

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Hey guys quick question.

My mobo is Asus rog Maximus Hero XI wi-fi, my CPU is i9 9900K and my ram is G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16gb 2x8 GB, i plan to buy another set just like that one. Same clock speed 3200, same CL14, same voltage 1.35V

So my question is could i add another set of 2 same sticks totalling 32 GB 4x8 GB of RAM, but those sticks would be 2 different sets and not one bought as 4x8.

Or should i just forget it and buy 2x16 GB.

If they're the exact same sticks, same brand, part number and all, you can absolutely do that no problem. There's no difference between a set of sticks sold as 2x8 vs the same sticks sold in a 4x8 package, aside from saving a bit of money per stick from buying bulk.

If they're a different brand, even if the specs are the same, it becomes a bit of a game of roulette. It could work just fine, or it could stop working entirely, and you can't know for sure until you plug 'em in. Not recommended.

However, a 2x16 setup would perform a tad better than a 4x8, so if it's in your budget I would recommend that. If not though, you're perfectly 100% fine opting for 2 additional 8G sticks.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I have had sticks made in the same factory, made 1 apart, the SN were in series and they would not work together in dual channel, no matter how I tweaked them or motherboard. individually they rocked, together nothing at all.
the only thing anyone can say is its a gamble, you feel like rolling the dice? you want to spend hours tweaking just to get stability or do you want to install the RAM hit power and go?
kits are factory matched and tested to work together. no tweaking or fuss. the mothereboard QVL listed units have been factory tested to work and getting modules from that list are the safest choice.
I always suggest replacing rather than adding to RAM

If they're the exact same sticks, same brand, part number and all, you can absolutely do that no problem. There's no difference between a set of sticks sold as 2x8 vs the same sticks sold in a 4x8 package, aside from saving a bit of money per stick from buying bulk.
I’ve had 2x(2x4gb) kits of exact same make and model not work together. I’ve seen a explanation on here of why this can happen claiming it’s to do with differences in the silicon itself. I have no way to verify this and am not able to explain it in the detail I read.