Can i add a drive to raid 5 on m5a97 evo

forbin23

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Hello,
can i add a drive to raid 5 on m5a97 evo motherboard? My only concern is more space. If so, anyone familiar on how to do so? Thanks

I just got this motherboard and have 2 2TB drives full of important stuff. I want to buy 3 more and start a raid. Then copy the other 2 drives data onto the raid and finally add the 2 (now empty) drives to the raid.

Is this possible? Or can someone recommend and alternative to accomplish the same goal?

alien69

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
what you want to get is raid 10.its the safest raid which should boost your performance.this requires 4 of the same drive.so it will split the data(increasing performance) and each half of the data will have its own backup incase of failure.unfortunately as far as i know(not a guru) this needs to be set up and configured before putting data onto the raid.

so the safest way would be to buy 4 new drives because adding a used drive to a raid could create all sorts of problems since no data is ever completely erased.
alternatively you could ask a friend to keep 2tb of data while you configure it all.but i wouldnt try that