Question Can I add a heatsink to VRM Asus PRIME A520M-K

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Am I thinking about this right please?
I am going fanless but am concerned about temperatures, in this instance, VRM.
My mobo is PRIME A520M-K.

As I understand it, the cheaper motherboards don't have a sensor there. I am on Linux Mint and used PSensor and that shows no VRM sensor. Nor does the annotated picture in ASUS website.

Looking at pictures of otherr mobos, I see quite large affairs screwed over an area. My mobo does not have any screw holes for such a thing. Am I looking to just attach a heatsink to the one chip? Looks to be approx 6mm square?

Or can I not add anything to this mobo?

Thank you

The board lacks any mounting holes for a heatsink, so there would be no way to affix a proper VRM heatsink to the motherboard. You could put on heatsinks that stick onto the mosfets using various types of adhesive, but I do not generally recommend this.

Judging by your signature, you are running a 4300ge, which is a low power part and would be very unlikely to stress the VRM on your motherboard at all. You could upgrade to really any Ryzen 5 and shouldn't have any overheating of the power delivery.

If you were to install a Ryzen 7 or better I would recommend to upgrade the motherboard entirely.

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Brilliant, thank you for this clarification.
I wondered if this might be the case. The main concern being the lack of fans drawing air over it.
Yes, I deliberately went with a 35W CPU.
However wasn't aware of needing to cool the VRM when I picked up the mobo.

Thanks again.

Am I thinking about this right please?
I am going fanless but am concerned about temperatures, in this instance, VRM.
My mobo is PRIME A520M-K.

As I understand it, the cheaper motherboards don't have a sensor there. I am on Linux Mint and used PSensor and that shows no VRM sensor. Nor does the annotated picture in ASUS website.

Looking at pictures of otherr mobos, I see quite large affairs screwed over an area. My mobo does not have any screw holes for such a thing. Am I looking to just attach a heatsink to the one chip? Looks to be approx 6mm square?

Or can I not add anything to this mobo?

Thank you
The sort of thing you'll need are Enzotech heatsinks. Those are just an example, search for more since there's a large variety. But the idea is to pick something with as much surface area as possible to transfer heat to the surrounding air.

Glue them on the MosFET's with a thermal adhesive.

Reactions: chuffedas