Can I add a Kingston 8GB 1600Mhz RAM to a 4GB 800Mhz on my Dell Inspiron 5558?

vistatech

Reputable
May 16, 2016
Hi to the community. I checked my laptop specs with CPU-Z and found that it has an 800MHz 4GB RAM.

QVzjG5o.png

I saw an offer on a Kingston RAM - https://www.amazon.in/Kingston-PC3L-1600MHz-Laptop-KVR16LS118/dp/B00CQ35HBQ

And, when I checked my Laptop reference guide, I saw this
OPpsnC2.png

Now, my questions are:-
1. Is the Kingston RAM compatible with my laptop?
2. Can my 4GB RAM work with the 8GB RAM thereby expanding my RAM to 12GB?

Your opinions mean a lot to me. I hope you guys will help me out. I am looking to buy this asap.

Solution
There's the "mixing & matching" potential issue already addressed - AND there's a chance you'd need to reinstall your OS too.

The only 5558 variant I can find that shipped with 4GB was the i3-5005u. Given that, you *may* have 32-bit Windows installed - I can;t find anything to verify either way. Every other variant (i5 etc) shipped with a minimum 8GB from what I can find. To utilize >4GB, you'd need to reinstall with 64-bit*.

*Not an issue, as your license key will allow you to activate, just a bit of a pain in backing up data etc.
CPU-Z reports actual frequency(AF) not effective frequency(EF).
For DDR EF=2xAF (2 data transfers per clock cycle).

So your laptop has 1600mhz ram and you can add another 1600mhz ram.
But - those are modules from different manufacturers and not from same ram kit. It may work but you may also encounter compatibility problems. You'll know only after you try it.

vistatech

Reputable
May 16, 2016

Yah am sorry for that. I just tried checking the specs for the 4GB RAM and found that its actually a 1600MHz. Anyways, I won't have any major issues in trying both the RAMs together right? It's safe to try them together, right?

Safe? Yes. Recommended? No. I would seriously consider a new dual channel RAM kit. http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/inspiron-15-%285558%29/CT7268554 would be an appropriate upgrade. You then have a 4GB module for a rainy day. Do you see DDR3? The DDR stands for double data rate. In short(remember AF and EF?) your laptop prefers modules t be installed in pairs because the effective rate would be faster than with only 1 module installed.

Did you buy this laptop used? Odd that it doesn't have 2 modules already.

Buying the kit avoids any compatibility.

Buying the kit restores the expected dual-chanel RAM operation.

Buying the kit makes 3 kittens smile.

Safe? Yes. Recommended? No. I would seriously consider a new dual channel RAM kit. http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/inspiron-15-%285558%29/CT7268554 would be an appropriate upgrade. You then have a 4GB module for a rainy day. Do you see DDR3? The DDR stands for double data rate. In short(remember AF and EF?) your laptop prefers modules t be installed in pairs because the effective rate would be faster than with only 1 module installed.

Did you buy this laptop used? Odd that it doesn't have 2 modules already.

Buying the kit avoids any compatibility issues.

Buying the kit restores the expected dual-chanel RAM operation.

Buying the kit makes 3 kittens smile.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
There's the "mixing & matching" potential issue already addressed - AND there's a chance you'd need to reinstall your OS too.

The only 5558 variant I can find that shipped with 4GB was the i3-5005u. Given that, you *may* have 32-bit Windows installed - I can;t find anything to verify either way. Every other variant (i5 etc) shipped with a minimum 8GB from what I can find. To utilize >4GB, you'd need to reinstall with 64-bit*.

*Not an issue, as your license key will allow you to activate, just a bit of a pain in backing up data etc.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS