Question Can I add an SSD to my PC with new copy of Windows and use existing HDD as storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2019
I have a PC with a HDD on it that I've been using for years.

I'd like to add a new SSD and use my existing HDD for storage. I'm reading a lot about cloning vs creating a clean install of my existing Windows, etc. None of which I have any experience with and I immediately feel out of my depth.

I'm thinking of just picking up another copy of Windows (if I can find one cheap), installing it on the SSD when I get it into the PC, and then moving any applications I use the most from the HDD to the SSD (i.e. Office, Steam, etc).

From an ease of setup/process standpoint, would this work? Will it cause problems right off the bat if I have Windows installed on the HDD and try to install another copy on the SSD?

Clearly, I don't have a ton of experience here, so if there are existing walkthroughs or tutorials that I should look to, I'd also greatly appreciate some suggestions.

I'm also open to the possibility/probability that I'm going in completely the wrong direction here. Software changes just kinda scare me, so the simplest option is usually my favorite.

Lutfij

Titan
Don't clone. Just backup all critical content from the current installation drive onto a removable storage device. Then install the OS onto the SSD after creating the bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

If it's a desktop, list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

If it's a laptop, include the make and model of the unit and the SKU.

Apr 24, 2019
Thanks! I just saw another thread where it was suggested that once a new SSD is installed, I could just disconnect the HDD --> install Windows on the new SDD --> reconnect the HDD. Does that sound right?

I guess my next question would be - once I've re-connected the HDD, would I leave windows installed on it as-is? Or is there a step involved to make it just a storage drive?

Sorry if this is tedious, I'm just very aware of how out-of-my-depth I am with this stuff.

CPU: i5-3550 3.30GHz
Motherboard: Asus P8H67-V
Ram: 8 GB
SSD/HDD: WD5000AAKX-603CA0 Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM SATA 6.0 Gbps 3.5
SSD (to be added): Crucial 1TB MX500

GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Apr 25, 2019
There is no necessity to clone your system..Taking a back up of all the critical content from your system would be sufficient.So go with that...It would help solving your problem.Wish u the best DQFanSurvey

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.