Can i add another stick of RAM?

cypfrinide

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
IM working on a build but i was wondering if i could get 1x8 stick for now, and in a month or so get another stick of the same exact stick, im worried about hardware issues and what not i was reading about making hardware changes while having an oem copy of windows would i be okay getting another stick of 8gb ddr4 ram later down the line?

Solution
short answer - yes, you'll be fine

longer answer- whenever you mix sticks that come from different packages , even if they are the exact same model, you will risk them not playing nicely together. TONS of people mix them anyway and have had no issues at all. For years, i always just swapped in ram, even different brands and occasionally different speeds (all of the ram wil run at the speed of the slowest stick) and never had any issues. but if you want to guarantee it will work , then you need from the same package

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
short answer - yes, you'll be fine

longer answer- whenever you mix sticks that come from different packages , even if they are the exact same model, you will risk them not playing nicely together. TONS of people mix them anyway and have had no issues at all. For years, i always just swapped in ram, even different brands and occasionally different speeds (all of the ram wil run at the speed of the slowest stick) and never had any issues. but if you want to guarantee it will work , then you need from the same package

Solution

cypfrinide

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
so if i bought a 8gb module of (CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Memory Kit Model ) now and bought another one of the exact same stick in the link, still raises potential of them not working together, even if they are the same model?

Anything can be a risk dealing with the computers. The risk is minimal though. However, it is still a risk. If you can grab the 8GBx2 set, I would strongly recommend it. If not, then you should be ok.

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015

yup, still a risk. i believe when they sell sticks in the same package, they test them to work together somehow . when you buy sticks from different packages, they might not play nicely