[SOLVED] Can I add extra 8gb to already existing 8gb ram?

Dafish_1

Commendable
May 20, 2020
I have z270x ultra motherboard, and I already have 4x2 ddr4 8gb.
I've been noticing huge frame drops when revisiting games like cod modern warfare and I figured the problem was my ram(Task manager tells me cpu and ram are both up to something like 96% but I can't do anything with my cpu, so I'm trying to get extra ram). So can I just buy any ddr4 4x2 8gb on the market and slap in on my remaining ram slots?
My specs are:
i5-7400(3Ghz)
dd4 8gb(4x2)
RX 580 8gb
600W power supply
1TB SSD

Solution
You can add other 2 sticks of 4GB in your system but your RAM needs to be the same type so in your case you need to match DDR4 and the speed MHz.

So if you already got 2 sticks of 4GB DDR4 2400MHz ram you will need to find two more sticks identical.

Ideally I would highly recommend finding the same kit as the first kit you put in as they'll work together without risks of incompatibility.

Oliver_Pedlar

Reputable
Feb 17, 2016
You can add other 2 sticks of 4GB in your system but your RAM needs to be the same type so in your case you need to match DDR4 and the speed MHz.

So if you already got 2 sticks of 4GB DDR4 2400MHz ram you will need to find two more sticks identical.

Ideally I would highly recommend finding the same kit as the first kit you put in as they'll work together without risks of incompatibility.

Solution