[SOLVED] Can i add more ram in the future?

Levy567

Honorable
Feb 3, 2015
Hey guys i have always had this question.

I want to buy the MSI B450-A Pro max Motherboard and my budget only allows me to get a Dual Channel (2x8GB) Memory Kit.
But I would like to add more in the future.
So my question is: Can I add one more of the same Dual Channel Ram Kit or I need to buy a Quad-Channel Kit (for 32GB)?
RAM and Motherboard

Solution
Your motherboard supports dual channel only... even if you get a 4x8 GB kit it'll still run in dual channel.

Make up your mind on the purchase... mixing and matching RAM, even if they're the same model, might result in compatibility problems(small chance but it needs to be considered)... adding another 2x8 kit later might cause problems, it's great practice to buy your modules as a kit(they're tested together and guaranteed to work with each other). Either buy a 2x8 or a 4x8 kit and stick with it... 16 GB should be plenty... 32 GB is overkill for gaming and daily work on the computer.
Your motherboard supports dual channel only... even if you get a 4x8 GB kit it'll still run in dual channel.

Make up your mind on the purchase... mixing and matching RAM, even if they're the same model, might result in compatibility problems(small chance but it needs to be considered)... adding another 2x8 kit later might cause problems, it's great practice to buy your modules as a kit(they're tested together and guaranteed to work with each other). Either buy a 2x8 or a 4x8 kit and stick with it... 16 GB should be plenty... 32 GB is overkill for gaming and daily work on the computer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Levy567
Solution

Levy567

Honorable
Feb 3, 2015
Thank you very much now i understand and I was going to do some CFD simulations so I might need the 32 GB in the future ... But at least I know that I have to get a new kit.