[SOLVED] Can I add power to PCIe slots by hooking 12v to unused x1 slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2021
I currently have a 2080TI and 1080TI on a Gigabyte Aorus x470 motherboard. The mobo doesn't have a supplemental 12V supply to the slots and voltages drop to around 11.6 volts under load (each card pulls about 50W from the slot) with the overall board voltage at 11.9-12V. This has been causing some no BSOD power cycles. I have tried all manner of stress tests without the cards running and nothing triggers (PCIe voltage around 12.1) even running the cards individually (voltage around 11.9). Would I be able to use an unpopulated X1 slot and hook up a 6-pin or Molex through a riser to help give better voltage?

EDIT: I think I found my problem, I was running a -0.1V undervolt on my cpu, after upping it by 0.01V problem seems fixed

Last edited:
Solution
Given that that's a now 10 year old PS I'd definitely consider that it may well be the problem. It's likely not able to supply its max rated power at this point. NEVER dismiss anything when troubleshooting.
Aug 9, 2021
I've tried cranking the power on the 2080TI and putting it through as much power as possible while stressing CPU (another ~150W) with no issue, it's just when I have both cards running, personally, I'm suspecting Vdroop through board traces, still, thanks for the advice, I'll start looking around for a replacement

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.