[SOLVED] Can I add QL140 Corsair fans to my Corsair 220T's existing case fans, the SP120 RGB Pros? If so, how?

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015
I just ordered a Corsair 220T RGB case. I also ordered 2x QL140 fans to add to my Cryorig 280mm rad. Can I add the QL140 fans to my Corsair 220T's three existing case fans, the SP120 RGB Pros? If so, how? Do I really need to buy more hardware (I've got a Corsair fan hub for 10 bucks enroute to me today The two QL fans were single packs. Not a set. I've never done any RGB before and while I've gotten the hots for it right now, it feels daunting and wiring seems like a nightmare. Please advise.

My mobo can operate LED strips and fans. It has 2x argb headers and 2 regular 4pin 12v headers.

EDIT: I am not so concerned about sequences or complicated patterns or chains etc. I am more concerned with setting them up to just light up and spin as I intend them to show maybe one colour or the default rainbow. As long as the LEDs won't die and I can get the cooling performance as designed, the RGB syncing is secondary for me.

Last edited:

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015

dimtodim

Reputable
I just ordered a Corsair 220T RGB case. I also ordered 2x QL140 fans to add to my Cryorig 280mm rad. Can I add the QL140 fans to my Corsair 220T's three existing case fans, the SP120 RGB Pros? If so, how? Do I really need to buy more hardware (I've got a Corsair fan hub for 10 bucks enroute to me today The two QL fans were single packs. Not a set. I've never done any RGB before and while I've gotten the hots for it right now, it feels daunting and wiring seems like a nightmare. Please advise.

My mobo can operate LED strips and fans. It has 2x argb headers and 2 regular 4pin 12v headers.

EDIT: I am not so concerned about sequences or complicated patterns or chains etc. I am more concerned with setting them up to just light up and spin as I intend them to show maybe one colour or the default rainbow. As long as the LEDs won't die and I can get the cooling performance as designed, the RGB syncing is secondary for me.
probably u can install 2 x 140 on front and top also 2 x 140 or 3 x 120 on front and 2 x 120 on top...if mobo have 4 fan headers u need fan hub...next solution is 2 x 140 on front and one on top and one on back its enough and u dont need fanhub in that scenario...

Reactions: steedsofwar

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
The case hasn't arrived and I chose this case well aware of the right tolerances. I just don't fancy big cases.

I intend to put the 280mm rad up top (may actually not fit so may be forced to reconfigure to the front).

Please see edit of my OP
I have my 280mm on the top with the fansw blowing out of the case. I have a 200mm fan blowing in at the front. And I have a 140mm fan blowing out at the back.
It looks like your case would be the same except that you'd have 3 fans at the front.

I also ordered 2x QL140 fans to add to my Cryorig 280mm rad. Can I add the QL140 fans to my Corsair 220T's three existing case fans,
What are you going to do with the fans that originally came with the Cryorig cooler?
It looks like you can have a total of 6 fans - 1 at the rear, 2 on the cooler and 3 on the front.
I wouldn't try to add any more.

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015
I have my 280mm on the top with the fansw blowing out of the case. I have a 200mm fan blowing in at the front. And I have a 140mm fan blowing out at the back.
It looks like your case would be the same except that you'd have 3 fans at the front.

I also ordered 2x QL140 fans to add to my Cryorig 280mm rad. Can I add the QL140 fans to my Corsair 220T's three existing case fans,
What are you going to do with the fans that originally came with the Cryorig cooler?
It looks like you can have a total of 6 fans - 1 at the rear, 2 on the cooler and 3 on the front.
I wouldn't try to add any more.

So I placed the 280 rad as intake at the front with the QL140s. Repurposed the three case fans by assigning two to the 240 rad as exhaust at the top (the stock fans with the AIO are not RGB and reportedly noisy? Not sure if the SP120 RGB Pros from the case are any better in that department as I haven't compared them. Just wanted more lighting at the top for the mobo.)
And the final SP case fan as a filtered intake, at the back.

This setup works remarkably well! Both in terms of excellent cooling results with very quiet operation, and also how all the fans are hooked up to the case node core and work well enough (despite some patterns not being compatible, most work fine. )

Last edited:

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015
probably u can install 2 x 140 on front and top also 2 x 140 or 3 x 120 on front and 2 x 120 on top...if mobo have 4 fan headers u need fan hub...next solution is 2 x 140 on front and one on top and one on back its enough and u dont need fanhub in that scenario...

Corsair fans are not compatible with any motherboard and work only with their own hardware, like their hubs and cores. Or so seems the consensus when looking this up online. One dude even fried his very expensive QL fans by hooking them up to the mobo RGB headers.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
So I placed the 280 rad as intake at the front with the QL140s. Repurposed the three case fans by assigning two to three 240 rad as exhaust at the top

So you have two radiators now?
So you have 1 x120 at the rear, 2x120 on the radiator at the top and 2 x 140 on the radiator at the front?
You should have the front blowing in and the top and back blowing out.

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015
So I placed the 280 rad as intake at the front with the QL140s. Repurposed the three case fans by assigning two to three 240 rad as exhaust at the top

So you have two radiators now?
So you have 1 x120 at the rear, 2x120 on the radiator at the top and 2 x 140 on the radiator at the front?
You should have the front blowing in and the top and back blowing out.
Yes that's exactly my setup, except the back 120 is also blowing in via a filter. The exhaust is the two 120s at the top, via the rad.