Question can I attach the PIN of a fan to the power supply?

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
I am with 1/2 more fans (it depends if the dark rock pro 4 has the 2 fans that connect with 2 or 1 PIN to the motherboard) however for 1/2 more fans I would not want to take a controller but if possible I would like to attach the PIN to some input of the power supply, is it possible?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I think you are worrying too much. To begin you are worried how to connect TWO fans of the dark rock pro 4 CPU cooler to a power source. That cooler system comes with a SPLITTER or Y-Cable that you use to connect BOTH of its fans to ONE header on the mobo - the CPU_FAN header.

Beyond that, you will have case ventilation fans. Those will connect to OTHER fan headers on your mobo - either SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN. Depending on how many of these fans, and on how many such headers your mobo has, you can use other Splitters if necessary to connect them all to mobo headers. Normally you might need a fan HUB (not a Controller) if you have MANY case fans and few mobo headers to use. If you need more help, tell us the maker and exact model of your mobo, AND the maker and model of the CASE vent fans you plan.

About names and labels. When you talk above about PINS, I think you mean the CONNECTOR on the end of the fan cable. With fans there are two main designs. Older fans have a connector for a 3-pin mobo header, but the connector is female so it has three HOLES in it. The newer design (PWM fans) use a 4-pin connector system, so the FAN's connector has 4 holes. In general in buying case ventilation fans, you should buy one type or the other, and NOT mix the two types. If you are buying a LOT of fans to connect to very few mobo headers, buy only 4-pin PWM fans.

Reactions: Grealish01

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
I think you are worrying too much. To begin you are worried how to connect TWO fans of the dark rock pro 4 CPU cooler to a power source. That cooler system comes with a SPLITTER or Y-Cable that you use to connect BOTH of its fans to ONE header on the mobo - the CPU_FAN header.

Beyond that, you will have case ventilation fans. Those will connect to OTHER fan headers on your mobo - either SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN. Depending on how many of these fans, and on how many such headers your mobo has, you can use other Splitters if necessary to connect them all to mobo headers. Normally you might need a fan HUB (not a Controller) if you have MANY case fans and few mobo headers to use. If you need more help, tell us the maker and exact model of your mobo, AND the maker and model of the CASE vent fans you plan.

About names and labels. When you talk above about PINS, I think you mean the CONNECTOR on the end of the fan cable. With fans there are two main designs. Older fans have a connector for a 3-pin mobo header, but the connector is female so it has three HOLES in it. The newer design (PWM fans) use a 4-pin connector system, so the FAN's connector has 4 holes. In general in buying case ventilation fans, you should buy one type or the other, and NOT mix the two types. If you are buying a LOT of fans to connect to very few mobo headers, buy only 4-pin PWM fans.
Ok so now I have an extra fan (which is not that of the heatsink) to connect. The motherboard is an Asus prime z690-p wifi (ddr4) and I seem to see that it has 5 CPU PINs, I can't figure out how many and if it has SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN as you said fan and the fans in total are 6.
From how I understand then I should get a fan hub for that one extra fan and furthermore the fans must be either all 3 PINs or all 4 PINs pwm, right?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
There are two manuals available for that mobo. The first is basic info here

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...WIFI/E19402_PRIME_Z690-P_WIFI_V2_UM_PRINT.pdf

On it, see p. 1-2 for the mobo layout. The label ALL of the fan headers with item code 4. At top centre there are CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT. These are identical headers to be used for the CPU cooler system. Since you have a unit that includes a Splitter, you use that to connect BOTH of those fans to the CPU_FAN header, and do not use the CPU_OPT one.

At the middle of the mobo is the AIO_PUMP header. This is used ONLY for a pump in a CPU liquid cooler system you do NOT have, so do not use this header.

The mobo has three CHA_FAN headers for case ventilation fans. One is at the front edge about 1/3 down from the top. The other two are beside each other at bottom centre. If I understand correctly you will have FOUR case fans in addition to the two on the CPU cooler. So you need to connect those four to three headers. That is easy using ONE Splitter. You can buy either 3-pin or 4-pin fans, and I suggest you buy the 4-pin models but that is not really important. Your mobo can be adjusted to work with either type. The only important point here is that you can NOT mix a 3-pin fan with a 4-pin fan on the SAME mobo header and Splitter.

Background: the differences between Splitter, Hub, and Controller for fans. A Controller supplies power to a fan (or group of them) AND controls its speed. ALL of your mobo CHA_FAN headers are the Controllers - you do NOT need to buy any Controller. A SPLITTER is a simple device that connects two or more fans together in parallel to the output of one fan header. All its fans receive exactly the same signals, and all of the power for the fans comes from that header. The only limit here is that the header can supply 12 VDC power at up to 1.0 A maximum current load. Almost all common computer case fans today can use 0.10 to 0.25 A max current, so you can easily and safely connect at least three fans to any header using a Splitter. Some Splitters look like a group of cable arms like this

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-Way-Splitter/dp/B07PXLHNZ6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=DMFZINAQ43RK&keywords=fan+splitter&qid=1643483117&sprefix=fan+splitter,aps,87&sr=8-3

That is a 2-pack of Splitters with THREE output arms. When using it you do NOT need to connect fans to ALL its arms. But you DO need to plug one fan into the only output that has a flag marker on it and all four pins in it. Another type looks more like a small circuit board with headers on it, like this

https://www.amazon.com/ThreeBulls-Cooling-Splitter-Adapter-Computer/dp/B07M5P7VHG/ref=sr_1_5?crid=DMFZINAQ43RK&keywords=fan+splitter&qid=1643483355&sprefix=fan+splitter,aps,87&sr=8-5

Some Splitters look like a box with headers recessed inside holes in the box.

Note that these all have 4-pin connectors but you CAN use them with 3-pin fans.

A HUB is a different device that can look a lot like a Splitter (as above). But is has on EXTRA "arm" that MUST plug into a power output from the PSU. Here's and example that also looks like a collection of cable arms. Note the wide connector for a SATA power output from the PSU, and one input cable with a female connector that goes to a mobo fan header.

https://www.amazon.com/XMSJSIY-Adapter-Splitter-Desktop-Computer/dp/B093ST9W5L/ref=sr_1_84?crid=3IAUGAYX56K5Z&keywords=fan+hub&qid=1643483974&sprefix=fan+hub,aps,157&sr=8-84

It gets all its power for fans from that extra PSU connection and draws no power from the host fan header, so it avoids the 1.0 A current limit. However, such devices generally can be used only for 4-pin fans. Moreover, you only need them if you must connect MANY fans to one header.

So, OP, do NOT get a HUB, Get a Splitter similar to the ones I showed above. Use ONE of those to connect two of your four fans to one CHA_FAN header, and the others can go to their own headers.

Now, look at the manual for details of BIOS Setup adjustments, here

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...UF_GAMING_Intel_600_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB_EN.pdf

See p. 5 for how to get into BIOS Setup at boot time. On p. 6 it says to use the F7 key to reach Advanced Mode (p. 7). There click on Monitor at the top - see p. 67 and there choose Q Fan configuration. Here you can choose each individual fan header to work on. Look at the CPU_FAN header first. Across the bottom you can choose the PROFILE - how it decides what speed to run the fan - and ensure it is set to "Standard". For the MODE set to PWM for the 4-pin fans of your CPU cooler. Back out with the Esc key and go to the first CHA-FAN header you are using. For MODE, set that to PWM if the fan plugged in is 4-pin, or to DC of the fan is 3-pin. For PROFILE set it to "Standard". For Q-Fan Source, set it to "Motherboard". Use Esc back to the QFAN menu and adjust all of the other CHA-FAN headers exactly the same. When you have finished, back out using Esc to get to the Main Menu. There use the F10 key to reach the Exit Menu (p. 86) and choose Save Changes and Reset. the system will save your settings and reboot.

This will get all of your fans connected to the correct headers and with their speeds controlled automatically by the mobo. You do not need a Controller or Hub. You need only one Splitter to help doing this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grealish01

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
There are two manuals available for that mobo. The first is basic info here

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...WIFI/E19402_PRIME_Z690-P_WIFI_V2_UM_PRINT.pdf

On it, see p. 1-2 for the mobo layout. The label ALL of the fan headers with item code 4. At top centre there are CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT. These are identical headers to be used for the CPU cooler system. Since you have a unit that includes a Splitter, you use that to connect BOTH of those fans to the CPU_FAN header, and do not use the CPU_OPT one.

At the middle of the mobo is the AIO_PUMP header. This is used ONLY for a pump in a CPU liquid cooler system you do NOT have, so do not use this header.

The mobo has three CHA_FAN headers for case ventilation fans. One is at the front edge about 1/3 down from the top. The other two are beside each other at bottom centre. If I understand correctly you will have FOUR case fans in addition to the two on the CPU cooler. So you need to connect those four to three headers. That is easy using ONE Splitter. You can buy either 3-pin or 4-pin fans, and I suggest you buy the 4-pin models but that is not really important. Your mobo can be adjusted to work with either type. The only important point here is that you can NOT mix a 3-pin fan with a 4-pin fan on the SAME mobo header and Splitter.

Background: the differences between Splitter, Hub, and Controller for fans. A Controller supplies power to a fan (or group of them) AND controls its speed. ALL of your mobo CHA_FAN headers are the Controllers - you do NOT need to buy any Controller. A SPLITTER is a simple device that connects two or more fans together in parallel to the output of one fan header. All its fans receive exactly the same signals, and all of the power for the fans comes from that header. The only limit here is that the header can supply 12 VDC power at up to 1.0 A maximum current load. Almost all common computer case fans today can use 0.10 to 0.25 A max current, so you can easily and safely connect at least three fans to any header using a Splitter. Some Splitters look like a group of cable arms like this

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-Way-Splitter/dp/B07PXLHNZ6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=DMFZINAQ43RK&keywords=fan+splitter&qid=1643483117&sprefix=fan+splitter,aps,87&sr=8-3

That is a 2-pack of Splitters with THREE output arms. When using it you do NOT need to connect fans to ALL its arms. But you DO need to plug one fan into the only output that has a flag marker on it and all four pins in it. Another type looks more like a small circuit board with headers on it, like this

https://www.amazon.com/ThreeBulls-Cooling-Splitter-Adapter-Computer/dp/B07M5P7VHG/ref=sr_1_5?crid=DMFZINAQ43RK&keywords=fan+splitter&qid=1643483355&sprefix=fan+splitter,aps,87&sr=8-5

Some Splitters look like a box with headers recessed inside holes in the box.

Note that these all have 4-pin connectors but you CAN use them with 3-pin fans.

A HUB is a different device that can look a lot like a Splitter (as above). But is has on EXTRA "arm" that MUST plug into a power output from the PSU. Here's and example that also looks like a collection of cable arms. Note the wide connector for a SATA power output from the PSU, and one input cable with a female connector that goes to a mobo fan header.

https://www.amazon.com/XMSJSIY-Adapter-Splitter-Desktop-Computer/dp/B093ST9W5L/ref=sr_1_84?crid=3IAUGAYX56K5Z&keywords=fan+hub&qid=1643483974&sprefix=fan+hub,aps,157&sr=8-84

It gets all its power for fans from that extra PSU connection and draws no power from the host fan header, so it avoids the 1.0 A current limit. However, such devices generally can be used only for 4-pin fans. Moreover, you only need them if you must connect MANY fans to one header.

So, OP, do NOT get a HUB, Get a Splitter similar to the ones I showed above. Use ONE of those to connect two of your four fans to one CHA_FAN header, and the others can go to their own headers.

Now, look at the manual for details of BIOS Setup adjustments, here

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...UF_GAMING_Intel_600_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB_EN.pdf

Vedi pag. 5 per come accedere alla configurazione del BIOS all'avvio. A pag. 6 dice di usare il tasto F7 per raggiungere la Modalità Avanzata (pag. 7). Lì fai clic su Monitor in alto - vedi p. 67 e lì scegli la configurazione della ventola Q. Qui puoi scegliere ogni singola intestazione della ventola su cui lavorare. Guarda prima l'intestazione CPU_FAN. Nella parte inferiore puoi scegliere il PROFILO - come decide a quale velocità far funzionare la ventola - e assicurarti che sia impostato su "Standard". Per il MODE impostato su PWM per le ventole a 4 pin del dispositivo di raffreddamento della CPU. Esci con il tasto Esc e vai alla prima intestazione CHA-FAN che stai utilizzando. Per MODE, impostarlo su PWM se la ventola collegata è a 4 pin o su CC della ventola è a 3 pin. Per PROFILO impostalo su "Standard". Per Q-Fan Source, impostalo su "Scheda madre". Utilizzare Esc per tornare al menu QFAN e regolare tutte le altre intestazioni CHA-FAN esattamente allo stesso modo. Quando hai finito, torna indietro usando Esc per accedere al menu principale. Lì usa il tasto F10 per raggiungere il menu Esci (p. 86) e scegli Salva modifiche e ripristina. il sistema salverà le impostazioni e si riavvierà.

In questo modo tutti i tuoi fan saranno collegati alle intestazioni corrette e con le loro velocità controllate automaticamente dal mobo. Non è necessario un controller o un hub. Hai bisogno di un solo Splitter per aiutarti a farlo.
[/CITAZIONE]
Thank you so much😀
The last question because after this I think have solved. If the 2 fans connected to the splitter don't have fixed/preset speed, can they be adjusted only tougher or even individually? (then run the 2 fans at different speeds at the same splitter)