[SOLVED] Can I back my Google Drive up to my HDD?

Dimitri001

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
Virtually my whole life is on Google Drive in Google docs. Stuff that, were I to lose it through some malfunction on a Google server, I may as well dive out the window, so this got me wondering, is there some way to back the contents of my entire Google Drive up on my HDD?

Solution
Virtually my whole life is on Google Drive in Google docs. Stuff that, were I to lose it through some malfunction on a Google server, I may as well dive out the window, so this got me wondering, is there some way to back the contents of my entire Google Drive up on my HDD?
Your data being in only ONE location is always a concern. No matter if that is at Google, OneDrive, a drive in your PC, whatever.

Why can't you just copy stuff down from your google drive down to a local drive?

USAFRet

Titan
Your data being in only ONE location is always a concern. No matter if that is at Google, OneDrive, a drive in your PC, whatever.

Why can't you just copy stuff down from your google drive down to a local drive?

Solution

Parroty69

Commendable
Oct 27, 2021
Why shouldn't you be able to? Just make sure that the sure is not always connected to a computer incase of a ransomware attack and only plug in it to do backups and access the files

Dimitri001

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019

You mean copy/paste or download it? I can't do that because I have an immense number of documents on my Drive.

Gor what I know, there's Google Drive' Windows client which will keep a local folder in sync with the GDrive. So, as long as you keep a (local) backup of that drive, you'll have a backup of your GDrive.

That'll do!

Ideally, I'd prefer some method without the Windows client, like if it's possible to download an image of the drive or some other form of backup, so if someone knows of something like that, please do tell, but in the absence of that, the method you suggest will work.

USAFRet

Titan
You mean copy/paste or download it? I can't do that because I have an immense number of documents on my Drive.
It currently lives at Google, correct?
If you want a second copy of it local....copy/paste is the same as "download".

The client mentioned above will sync, but that first "sync" will take time, depending on how much you have.
After that....only new/changed stuff.