[SOLVED] Can I be connected to Wifi and LAN same time?

May 10, 2021
Currently I have a modem with 3 LAN Ports being used

Port 1: PS5
Port 2: Computer
Port 3: Other computer

Now I've learned I have to buy a wireless router set up to access wifi for my phones/tablets etc.

My question is: Can I run my router (to provide wireless access to devices such as Tablets and Phones) and leave my 2 Computers and PS5 in LAN at same time?

If so what port do I plug into for the modem? (Lan 4 or WAN?)

If not would it be Router to Modem Wan, and then plug in the PS5 and 2 computers in the modem? or the router?

I was thinking of getting the google mesh router but it only has one Lan port on back so I want to make sure I am ordering the correct stuff.

Solution
Most modems only have 1 port. In most cases a ISP will also only give you 1 IP address.

This is why you need a router to share that IP address with multiple machines.

Can you post the part number of the device you are calling a modem. My guess is it is actually a router but it is also strange it does not have wifi. It is actually kinda hard to get a router that does not have wifi now days.

In any case if you were to plug the PC into the "modem" and then plug a new router into say port 4 you would create 2 networks. This would cause file sharing issues....if you are not using file sharing between your machines it doesn't matter. Now this assumes you plug the WAN port of the new router into one of the 4 ports on the...
Most modems only have 1 port. In most cases a ISP will also only give you 1 IP address.

This is why you need a router to share that IP address with multiple machines.

Can you post the part number of the device you are calling a modem. My guess is it is actually a router but it is also strange it does not have wifi. It is actually kinda hard to get a router that does not have wifi now days.

In any case if you were to plug the PC into the "modem" and then plug a new router into say port 4 you would create 2 networks. This would cause file sharing issues....if you are not using file sharing between your machines it doesn't matter. Now this assumes you plug the WAN port of the new router into one of the 4 ports on the current modem. Your other option is to use it as a AP. Most routers now have this feature but you can accoplish the same thing by plugging into a LAN port on the new router instead. You also need to disable the DHCP server and make sure the IP on the router does not conflict. If you run as AP then everything is all on the same network. You have in effect attached the wifi radios to the "modem".

I still would try to find out what the device you are calling a modem really is. Very technically just a modem will work but the ISP would have to then give you multiple IP addresses.

Solution