Can I book tickets through VPN/proxy?

venom0706

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012
Since I can't access my local cinema's website from my home country (for some reason), the only way to enter the website and book the tickets for the film I want is to do it either through a UK proxy, or through VPN.

Do you think it is ok to do so? Will my bank allow to book the tickets and make the payment if it's done through VPN (where the IP is channeled) or proxy?

I once tried to book tickets through UK proxy and it was successful, but the proxy added some weird proxy extension to the e-mail address of my my cinema account (thus leading to me NOT receiving a confirmation e-mail, because the system sent it to that weird and non-existing e-mail address). The bank transaction was successful, though.

So, what do you think? Thank you.

Solution
Not sure why it would have any affect on email. Most vpn/proxy just translate the ip from yours to another one in a remote location. It is not a lot different than what you router does translating the local ip in your lan to the wan ip. A proxy can do more than that but in general it related to traffic filtering.

Your email address should really be what every you keyed in. I would be surprised if it was changed. Now if you are using one of the many scam so called "free" proxy/vpn services these do all kinds of bad things.

I suspect your problems is purely because the cinema company software is too smart for its own good. They try to geolocate using the ip address to take you to the closet venue to your house. Most...
Not sure why it would have any affect on email. Most vpn/proxy just translate the ip from yours to another one in a remote location. It is not a lot different than what you router does translating the local ip in your lan to the wan ip. A proxy can do more than that but in general it related to traffic filtering.

Your email address should really be what every you keyed in. I would be surprised if it was changed. Now if you are using one of the many scam so called "free" proxy/vpn services these do all kinds of bad things.

I suspect your problems is purely because the cinema company software is too smart for its own good. They try to geolocate using the ip address to take you to the closet venue to your house. Most these when they have issue prompt you to enter a location. I had the same issue trying to look at a advertisement for a grocery store that was not in my area.....like why do they care maybe I am silly and willing to drive 100+ miles to buy my groceries.

This is not like netflix that is actively trying to prevent access from country outside. The local cinema wants your money and the bank doesn't generally care as long as they think it is a valid transaction. Many times credit card companies flag transactions in a country other than your but in most cases you can go to the card companies web site and mark the transaction as approved.

Solution

venom0706

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012
Thanks!

So even if I book, through proxy, the bank transaction between me and the cinema will be successful?

What if I don't go through proxy, but use Tor? I am able to access the cinema website from that browser.