Question can i boost my laptop

Brouhal

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
I just bought a brand new HP and its a little slow. it won't play my favorite games. like kingdom come deliverance. my question is. is there anything out there that can make my laptop any faster? sorta like a external ssd or hhd. because i know that i cannot change the inside of the laptop but external drive or whatever would help?

For starters, you could do what i do with all new laptops and prebuilds, reinstall Windows.
The reason being that pretty much all laptops come with a boatload of pc slowing shovelware pre-installed.
Reinstalling windows will make sure you get rid of all that.

DSzymborski

Titan
it is a hp. 1tb hdd. 6 gb ram. hdgraphics i3 7th generation

So no GPU? I'm assuming, because again, the information you're supplying is fairly sparse.

You're not going to run games like this on integrated graphics. Even the integrated graphics on Ryzen 2400G, essentially the best integrated graphics available, lag behind Kingdome Come's minimum requirement of a GTX 660/HD 7870.

There's not much you can really do about this unless you have a Thunderbolt connection and go for an eGPU solution. You'll still be hampered somewhat by having a mobile i3 in there, but you would likely be able to get most modern AAA games at least playable in this case.

Honestly, you bought a laptop, as far as I can tell (again, no model information provided), that's a really good laptop for day-to-day work, Excel, Word, watching video, emails, etc. But it's not a gaming laptop. There's nothing wrong with that my HP x360 gets much heavier use than my actual gaming laptop because of it's day-to-day flexibility, weight, and long battery life, but it's sure as sugar not a gaming laptop. I think the most intense game I've played on that laptop is Hearthstone, which doesn't exactly have high system requirements.

DSzymborski

Titan

That's not a model. HP is a very large company that makes a lot of laptops. There's no one "hp laptop."

Regardless, there's almost certainly nothing you can do. If you were a little more forthcoming about your model, perhaps someone could tell you if an eGPU was a realistic option.

That's not a model. HP is a very large company that makes a lot of laptops. There's no one "hp laptop."

Regardless, there's almost certainly nothing you can do. If you were a little more forthcoming about your model, perhaps someone could tell you if an eGPU was a realistic option.

I wouldn't bother with those docks. You could build a decent budget gaming pc with what they're asking for those.

Brouhal

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016

Time of this report: 4/13/2019, 14:11:15
Machine name: DESKTOP-5L50B82
Machine Id: {68A15C31-FCC0-460A-9844-E8F1E99E24B7}
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP
System Model: HP Laptop 15-bs0xx
BIOS: F.42
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7100U CPU @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6060MB RAM
Page File: 3295MB used, 5784MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.16299.0015 64bit Unicode

DSzymborski

Titan
the model of the HP is System Model: HP Laptop 15-bs0xx

OK, then, there's no Thunderbolt port, so an eGPU isn't really an option. Except for taking it apart, removing the wireless, and getting a slow PCIE, but that's generally fun for tinkerers rather than a practical option.

Not much else you can do except return it and buy a laptop that has a proper GPU, if you want to play AAA games on it. Something with a 1050 Ti is probably the minimum you should be look at and you'll still have to turn down some settings.

DSzymborski

Titan
do you know where i can go to oniline and get a computer around $400

A gaming laptop for $400? No, unless you search for used laptops, which is a very risky thing on a budget without warranty support.

New laptops with discrete GPUs that can handle gaming tend to start at around $600-$700 for non-TI GTX 1050. You'll start to see 1060s around $800-$900 and 1070s around $1300-$1400 or so.

Brouhal

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
A gaming laptop for $400? No, unless you search for used laptops, which is a very risky thing on a budget without warranty support.

New laptops with discrete GPUs that can handle gaming tend to start at around $600-$700 for non-TI GTX 1050. You'll start to see 1060s around $800-$900 and 1070s around $1300-$1400 or so.
ok. thank you for the advice

Brouhal

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
One more thing. heres the model and the name of the computer. it is a intel core i5-6200u CPU @ 2.30gHhz 8gb ram windows 10 if you need to know the secifics of the acutal name just tell me where thats at and i will give you that. i think this computer is different from the previous one i metioned on this post

USAFRet

Titan
One more thing. heres the model and the name of the computer. it is a intel core i5-6200u CPU @ 2.30gHhz 8gb ram windows 10 if you need to know the secifics of the acutal name just tell me where thats at and i will give you that. i think this computer is different from the previous one i metioned on this post
That's not the "model name"
That is some of the parts, and the OS.

Brouhal

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
i looked at the bottom of the laptop, i guess that is where your talking about. I don't know the last part of the model number when i did happen to run in into it. all i know is that i need you to tell me where is my model is. please sir