Question can i boost my laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Brouhal

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
I just bought a brand new HP and its a little slow. it won't play my favorite games. like kingdom come deliverance. my question is. is there anything out there that can make my laptop any faster? sorta like a external ssd or hhd. because i know that i cannot change the inside of the laptop but external drive or whatever would help?

Brouhal

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
i looked at the bottom of the laptop, i guess that is where your talking about. I don't know the last part of the model number when i did happen to run in into it. all i know is that i need you to tell me where is my model is. please sir
i looked at the bottom of the laptop, i guess that is where your talking about. I don't know the last part of the model number when i did happen to run in into it. all i know is that i need you to tell me where is my model is. please sir
15-bk010nr i do belive this is the model because i reconize the number config. so if you guys can help me on a external graphic card and tell me about this computer, like if it a nice starter or should i upgrade the ram

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
15-bk010nr i do belive this is the model because i reconize the number config. so if you guys can help me on a external graphic card and tell me about this computer, like if it a nice starter or should i upgrade the ram

It doesn't have Thunderbolt, so the good options for an external GPU are gone.

There's no such thing, really, as a "starter" laptop in this context. Unless your laptop is configured to comfortably handle an external GPU, the laptop you buy is the more or less the laptop you have. Upgrading the RAM won't make it into a gaming computer. Laptops are designed to be lightweight, low-power, and portable, they're mostly not designed for full-fledged upgrades.

While there are other options for an external GPU, they're considerably worse because they require considerable disassembly of the laptop and losing the wireless card. I wouldn't recommend this anyway; it took you a month to find out key information that you should have known from actually buying the laptop, so I don't believe you have the technical ability to do this, even if it were a good idea, which it is not.

You have a perfectly decent and flexible laptop for day-to-day use (my hp Envy x360 gets more use than my gaming laptop). But you don't have a gaming laptop. If you want a gaming laptop, you're going to have to buy a gaming laptop, which means something that comes with an actual GPU. You've likely wasted your return window, so returning the laptop and using the refund and extra money to buy a gaming laptop is probably no longer an option.

Last edited:

No one can tell you exactly where the model number is without knowing what model it is. It's on the computer unless you took the labels off. You also have the computer, how did you get them if you don't know what you have? If you buy something, it has all the specs and the model numbers from the place you bought it from, or on the receipt or on the box. In your case the model number of your laptop does not matter, it's not good enough for games.

Look up the requirements for the games you want to play, it will list the graphics card you need. Then look for systems with that range of graphics card or better. If you want a system for gaming, then don't get anything without a real video card unless it's one of the newer Ryzen CPUs which can fake a gaming system for some games.