Can I bring a 5L small form factor system on a plane?

Wieck

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
Hi,

so I'll be going overseas soon for a trip which lasts about 2 months and I was thinking of bringing a stronger system with me instead of my old laptop. I have a MSI trident 3 which is just under 4.8L and fits right into my backpack but all its internals are desktop components which I'm a bit hesitant to just freely bring with me on the plane. It has a 330W external power supply that's shaped like a laptop charger but just bigger and a thin case was provided to carry the system. Will I have any problems if I take it as a carry on or will it be better if I wrap it in something protective and put it in the luggage ?

Thanks

Solution
Carryon is safer, provided is within the allotted sizing. Max 9 x 14 x 22" INCLUDING wheels and handles. Can be checked luggage but I suggest properly packaged like hard styrofoam like original packaging. Remove HDD, carry those with you (have TSA manually inspect them like laptops, no going through x-ray), and fill up empty spaces with balls of socks so nothing get banged around.
Carryon is safer, provided is within the allotted sizing. Max 9 x 14 x 22" INCLUDING wheels and handles. Can be checked luggage but I suggest properly packaged like hard styrofoam like original packaging. Remove HDD, carry those with you (have TSA manually inspect them like laptops, no going through x-ray), and fill up empty spaces with balls of socks so nothing get banged around.

Solution