[SOLVED] can i buy pin adapters?

Thegames YT

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017
i have this psu

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-LE...ER-SUPPLY-UNIT-50A36160-54Y8930-/182627794165

it has 2 4pin connector and 2 6pin connector. My motherboard uses an 8 + 4 pin, so i only connected 2 4 pins and left 4pins empty on the motherboard.

My power supply still has 2x6pins and was wondering if i could buy an adapter because i want to buy a new gpu that uses 8pins and my psu still needs 4pins so i was wondering if i change the 2 6pins connectors to 2x4 2x4 but i use only the 2x4 for gpu and 1 4pins that i need for the motherboard and leave the 4 pin connector untouched.
If i do this i will not add more pin connectors just use differently.

can i do this?

Remeca

Reputable
Nope absolutely not. Do. Not. try turning on your PC with random power plugs plugged into things they're not supposed to be. What is the exact model and form factor of your pc? Assuming it isn't a small form factor, you just need a standard atx PSU with a 24 pin and at least one 8 pin pcie, and an 8 pin to 24pin adapter for whatever motherboard you have.

Last edited:
Reactions: extreme_noob
Nope absolutely not. Do. Not. try turning on your PC with random power plugs plugged into things they're not supposed to be. What is the exact model and form factor of your pc? Assuming it isn't a small form factor, you just need a standard atx PSU with a 24 pin, and an adapter from that to whatever motherboard you have.
He said his motherboard had an 8+4 pin connector, so it probably isnt standard atx

What is the make/model of the motherboard and the graphics card??

Many new motherboards will have an 8 pin and a 4 pin eps power port.
If you read the motherboard manual, you may find that the extra 4 pin eps connection is not necessary for your processor .

If the psu has two 6 pin pcie cables, it will have the capability of running an 8 pin pcie graphics card if you use a two 6 pin to 8 pin pcie adapter cable.

I do not know the quality of the lenovo psu.
The label says 450w, and that is probably ok.
I do not know Lenovo to deliver junk.

Thegames YT

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017
What is the make/model of the motherboard and the graphics card??

Many new motherboards will have an 8 pin and a 4 pin eps power port.
If you read the motherboard manual, you may find that the extra 4 pin eps connection is not necessary for your processor .

If the psu has two 6 pin pcie cables, it will have the capability of running an 8 pin pcie graphics card if you use a two 6 pin to 8 pin pcie adapter cable.

I do not know the quality of the lenovo psu.
The label says 450w, and that is probably ok.
I do not know Lenovo to deliver junk.

this is my motherboard
https://www.komplett.no/product/111...BOmM1VuJdBU0e6tlKY8aAmEjEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

case i have
https://computerpad.me/product/nzxt-s340-white-mid-tower-gaming-case/

the graphic card i want to buy
https://www.komplett.no/product/114...1Kh9tyW4ZkSHM_BV_4aAq4BEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#

So you have a perfectly standard graphics card and motherboard but you want to use a really non standard PSU? Your motherboard uses a 24 pin connector and an 8+4. Your GPU uses a single 8 pin. Just replace the PSU. From what I can tell it's not designed for mid range to high end components like this, and you may well end up breaking your expensive motherboard or graphics card. Get a Corsair CX550M or something. You do not need to plug both the 8 pin and the 4 pin into the top of the motherboard, just the 8 pin. Each 8 pin connector can handle somewhere around 380W if I remember correctly, and no CPU on the LGA 1151 socket will draw that much except maybe under LN2. Just plugging in one 8 pin will be fine.

Solution

Thegames YT

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017
So you have a perfectly standard graphics card and motherboard but you want to use a really non standard PSU? Your motherboard uses a 24 pin connector and an 8+4. Your GPU uses a single 8 pin. Just replace the PSU. From what I can tell it's not designed for mid range to high end components like this, and you may well end up breaking your expensive motherboard or graphics card. Get a Corsair CX550M or something. You do not need to plug both the 8 pin and the 4 pin into the top of the motherboard, just the 8 pin. Each 8 pin connector can handle somewhere around 380W if I remember correctly, and no CPU on the LGA 1151 socket will draw that much except maybe under LN2. Just plugging in one 8 pin will be fine.
Ok, thanks for the reply i guess i will just buy a new PSU cant risk ruining the pc. :)

Reactions: extreme_noob