[SOLVED] Can I change a telephone jack and a switch panel into ethernet outlets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I'm desperate in trying to get lan and after noticing that there is a lanline phone jack still idle. I wonder if it is possible that the electrician can make two ethernet outlets so that the internet can come from the modem to the router through the walls instead of it being directly. Something like powerline adapters.

I also am thinking about MOCA adapters but I don't know if i need either one or two... Any idea on this?

Solution
Ethernet requires CAT5 or CAT6 (at a minimum) cabling. Telephone does not, though it can run through CAT5 or 6, the opposite is not true of Ethernet. Powerline is not the same thing. This is why you must verify the cable type in the wall, as well as verify that it is actually fully functional, as installers are known to be inattentive and will put a nail right through the cable, thus shorting it.
Ethernet requires CAT5 or CAT6 (at a minimum) cabling. Telephone does not, though it can run through CAT5 or 6, the opposite is not true of Ethernet. Powerline is not the same thing. This is why you must verify the cable type in the wall, as well as verify that it is actually fully functional, as installers are known to be inattentive and will put a nail right through the cable, thus shorting it.

Solution
Why not just use the right tool for the job instead of trying to force the wrong tool for the job?

Since you mention getting an electrician, I'm going to assume you own the home you're in or at least you have that sort of option. In which case just replace the POTS lines with a proper Ethernet cable.

So I will mention this but I have not found products sold to home users for this purpose.

There is a technology that uses G.hn over twisted pair (ie telephone lines). G.hn is what they run over coax to make moca work and some powerline units also use G.hn.

So in theory you could use the phone lines to transfer data at very high speeds it appears. The problem is there must be a reason you do not see devices like this being advertised say on newegg or amazon. Maybe it doesn't really work in homes or maybe there is just not enough demand.
There are lot and lots of information about the technology but very little about actual products you can buy.

If you spend the time and find something that works maybe you come back and update it with units that work for non business type of customers.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Thanks guys. But because MoCA isn't commonly available in my area, powerline is my only option...

In case you're wondering I ordered a av600 tplink one that's powerline. I could go with av1000 but since my ISP is only capped at 225 Mbps, I think this one upto 300Mbps should do. And with it connected to my second router, it should work for my requirements....hopefully.

Regardless thank you all for your advice.

Last edited:
Don't believe those numbers. Even with the very best units you will not get 300mbps.

The AV600 ones from tplink are on my hate list,even though they now have a couple different units with the same name. Those are what they used to call av500 because they use the homeplug av500 standard. What they did when the av2-600 standard came out they just renamed the units, they didn't even change the part number. The figured people would not notice that it did not have the extra "2" in the part name.

Then again all the vendors have renamed av2-600 to av1000 and av2-1200 to av2000. That happened because there are units that use Ghn rather than homeplug standard and they call their speeds 1000 and 2000. This is all marketing scams numbers.

The so called av600 units you are looking at will not get more than 100mbps. They also figured people would not notice they only had 100mbps ports. For a lot of people you are lucky to get 30-50mbps with units based on that standard. I would buy units with the 1000 or 2000 numbers. It depends on the house wires but many people get 150mbps and if you are lucky you can get about 300.

Hmm...I'll consider it. I believe tplink has made an update for that. Even so, the second router would probably have a workaround

Not if you are looking at the very common tl-pa4010 units. Even today you will find it called av500 on some place and av600 on others. If you go back and read some of the older review sites you will see it was a av500 unit and they have not changed it.

Reactions: WrongRookie

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Not if you are looking at the very common tl-pa4010 units. Even today you will find it called av500 on some place and av600 on others. If you go back and read some of the older review sites you will see it was a av500 unit and they have not changed it.

Ok I have ordered the av1000 instead.

Just to confirm, this is av1000 right?

Cause this and av600(?) Are strangely the only ones available in my area as far as powerlines go

That is one of the newer ones. Hard to say what you will get for speeds. The main difference between the 1000 and the 2000 units is they use MiMO like wifi does. They try to send a second signal overlapping the first. You of course get nowhere near double the speed.
My "guess" would be you likely get about 150mbps. The units you have also have wifi but I would use the ethernet port if you are playing online games.

Reactions: WrongRookie
Status
Not open for further replies.