Can I change my lenovo laptop's processor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Payba

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
hey guys. i have this lenovo g400s touch laptop which has a dual core processor. it is 2020M @ 2.40 Ghz with 6 Gig of RAM. is it possible to change this into and i3 or i5?

Davaoman

Reputable
May 9, 2015

I have the same Lenovo Laptop G400s touch screen with the Intel Pentium 2020M CPU and same question but so far found this upgrade is limited to the bios using the still unknown socket type; BGA1023 / BGA1224 / Socket G2 yet I'm 90% sure it's G2 . Logically, since this unit was also sold by Lenovo with the following optional CPU's;

3rd generation Intel® Core™ i5-3230M processor
3rd generation Intel® Core™ i3-3130M processor
3rd generation Intel® Core™ i3-3120M processor
2nd generation Intel® CoreTM i3-2348M processor
Intel® Pentium® 2030M processor
Intel® Pentium® 2020M processor
Intel® Pentium® B980 processor
Intel® Pentium® B960 processor
Intel® Celeron® 1005M processor

And all 3rd generation CPU's I think; I've decided to buy the i5-3230M which I found for about 100 bucks on Amazon and try this as this is the best one you can upgrade to I feel. I'm no genius at this but always build my own desktops and the image of the i5-3210M appears to not be integrated as a part and my manual shows step by step how to replace this as well as the ram. I've searched everywhere for this answer too and feel Lenovo made this with these options using the same Mobo and possibly for the G500s & G505s as I searched more.

Intel shows the HM77 chipset is compatible with HM76 and many processors work on this chipset but the Schematic for Lenovo G400S, G500S, G505S laptop/notebook, Compal LA-9902P mainboard states the Chipset is Intel Panther Point. Now I did not open mine yet to see if this is in fact the mobo type.

I do find dumbass answers like this one; "No. A laptops processor is generally embedded into the motherboard of the computer. If you wanted to change the processor, you would have to change the motherboard. And that would cost either more or just about the same as either of those 2 laptops."

Back in the day it may have been like this on older laptops but the CPU I bought and my manual both show it's a removable CPU. I like to tinker anyway and will see if I run into a problem with bios but if anyone finds any knowledge base facts on this, let me know and I will try to remember to post back here on my results.

FYI, the memory for this G400s Laptop is maxed at Up to 16 GB DDR3L-1600 MHz, 2 SODIMM slots, so don't go over this and the Graphics is maxed at Up to the NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 720M 2GB graphics card and nothing more will work on this motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.