[SOLVED] Can I change my PSU fan to a lower rpm fan?

OKOKGaming

Prominent
Oct 28, 2021
My PC's PSU is a Cooler Master Extreme Power RP-650-PCAR and its fan is very loud. I have a cooler master PC fan laying around and its quiet but it has lower RPM and CFM. So should I change the noisy fan to a quieter but lower CFM fan?

Solution
Ok But that power supply doesn't run at full load because my PC uses half its power. Does it Impact cooling?

The power supply is so low quality it doesn't even run at its claimed full load anyway. For any PC made after about 1999, it's not even a 400W PSU. It's also extremely inefficient so there's going to be a lot more heat at a given wattage than any better quality PSU.

If the fan is bothering you so much that you prefer a possible fire, I'd suggest getting a new PSU of better quality, which will solve your problem.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I mean, you technically can but this is a cheaply made PSU of ancient design that's a decade old. It's already a hot, noisy, inefficient mess and if you actually make it's cooling worse very bad things could happen that would make your PC extremely quiet forever.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Ok But that power supply doesn't run at full load because my PC uses half its power. Does it Impact cooling?

The power supply is so low quality it doesn't even run at its claimed full load anyway. For any PC made after about 1999, it's not even a 400W PSU. It's also extremely inefficient so there's going to be a lot more heat at a given wattage than any better quality PSU.

If the fan is bothering you so much that you prefer a possible fire, I'd suggest getting a new PSU of better quality, which will solve your problem.

Solution

OKOKGaming

Prominent
Oct 28, 2021

Ok, I will soon upgrade to a better quality PSU, Thanks for the response.