[SOLVED] Can I change my stock cooler on my Acer G3-605 (LGA1150)?

kurt16A

Commendable
May 24, 2020
Solution
You need to take off the back panel and remove the backplate, which has those standoffs you see poking through the holes, attached. Then that pushpin style cooler can pop through those holes IF it says it supports that socket type.

Being honest though, those pushpin, three heat pipe style, low mounting pressure coolers are a waste of money and time. You are not going to see a significant difference in thermal performance over the stock cooler you currently have. If you are replacing it only because the old one failed, then that's one thing, if the price is really cheap, otherwise you'd be well served by going with a cooler that can actually take advantage of the fact that you already have a metal backplate installed and can install a...
You need to take off the back panel and remove the backplate, which has those standoffs you see poking through the holes, attached. Then that pushpin style cooler can pop through those holes IF it says it supports that socket type.

Being honest though, those pushpin, three heat pipe style, low mounting pressure coolers are a waste of money and time. You are not going to see a significant difference in thermal performance over the stock cooler you currently have. If you are replacing it only because the old one failed, then that's one thing, if the price is really cheap, otherwise you'd be well served by going with a cooler that can actually take advantage of the fact that you already have a metal backplate installed and can install a high mounting pressure four or more heatpipe cooler that will do much better.

The real question though is what will your case support. All of this doesn't matter if the case won't support a tall enough cooler for any of these to fit.

Since this is a proprietary Acer case, I'm not finding any specs on the maximum CPU cooler height that it supports. You are likely going to need to find that spec on one of the forums via some forum scrubbing/searching before we can know for sure what coolers, including potentially even the TX3, will be supported.

Solution

kurt16A

Commendable
May 24, 2020

Being honest though, those pushpin, three heat pipe style, low mounting pressure coolers are a waste of money and time. You are not going to see a significant difference in thermal performance over the stock cooler you currently have. If you are replacing it only because the old one failed, then that's one thing, if the price is really cheap, otherwise you'd be well served by going with a cooler that can actually take advantage of the fact that you already have a metal backplate installed and can install a high mounting pressure four or more heatpipe cooler that will do much better.

The real question though is what will your case support. All of this doesn't matter if the case won't support a tall enough cooler for any of these to fit.

Since this is a proprietary Acer case, I'm not finding any specs on the maximum CPU cooler height that it supports. You are likely going to need to find that spec on one of the forums via some forum scrubbing/searching before we can know for sure what coolers, including potentially even the TX3, will be supported.
My Acer is a pre built pc. I can not open the back panel! - can open one side - . I chose CM Hyper TX3 Evo because it fit the case (not high). Can I use those standoffs to install CM Hyper TX3 Evo or another?

So then, if the back panel is not removable then you MUST remove the motherboard from the case in order to gain access to the back of the motherboard so you can remove the backplate. No other way around it.

The TX3 cannot be installed with that style of backplate. How do you know the TX3 will fit that case?

What cooler was previously installed, because it was NOT a stock cooler based on the backplate that is installed. The stock cooler was a push pin type cooler just like the TX3 except a top-down model instead of a tower model.

It would be really good to figure out EXACTLY how much space you have from the top of the CPU to where a cooler would interfere with putting the side panel on so we can determine what cooler models will work with your backplate.

You can do this by tying a string around the unit, with the side panel off, then measuring from the top of the CPU to the string.

kurt16A

Commendable
May 24, 2020
So then, if the back panel is not removable then you MUST remove the motherboard from the case in order to gain access to the back of the motherboard so you can remove the backplate. No other way around it.

The TX3 cannot be installed with that style of backplate. How do you know the TX3 will fit that case?

What cooler was previously installed, because it was NOT a stock cooler based on the backplate that is installed. The stock cooler was a push pin type cooler just like the TX3 except a top-down model instead of a tower model.

It would be really good to figure out EXACTLY how much space you have from the top of the CPU to where a cooler would interfere with putting the side panel on so we can determine what cooler models will work with your backplate.

You can do this by tying a string around the unit, with the side panel off, then measuring from the top of the CPU to the string.
Thank you for helping me. The cooler I have is the one it comes when I bought the pc (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Predator-G3-605-Cooling-Heatsink/dp/B071K8SSX1 ),
it may have changed where I bought it. I chose TX3 because it is the only one that fits the case and the motherboard, LGA1150. In addition, I have measured exactly the height (155mm from the top of the CPU to the string -https://ibb.co/NCmpQWb ).

I knew that the TX3 cannot be installed with that style of backplate, therefor I landed here to find a solution.

But which one is better between the TX3 and https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Predator-G3-605-Cooling-Heatsink/dp/B071K8SSX1 ?

The motherboard can not be removed because those two wires (https://ibb.co/4f3WjKT) , so I am going to follow your advice about another cooler which work with the back plate...if there is one! else..I keep the old one.

In 35 years of doing this, I have NEVER seen a motherboard that could not be removed or wasn't INTENDED to be removed, and this is no different. Those connectors SHOULD pull right off the blade terminals they are connected to. If not, then I'd look at the other end OR simply unbolt the motherboard and move it out of the case with the wires still attached so you can at least pull the backplate, that isn't needed for the TX3, out of there, and then put the motherboard back and attach it back in place.

You only need a few inches worth of space to slip the backplate out of there. Yes, the TX3 is better than that cooler.