[SOLVED] Can I check built in video on a motherboard without the CPU?

229Mick

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I just got a new motherboard and set it up and found the built in video doesn't work (Windows doesn't even see the built in video card). I got a replacement, but I don't want to go through the whole deal or removing the first one and install the new one then find the same (or other) problem. Can I power it up and see if there is anything on video? Would there be if there's no cpu? What happens if I do power it up without a cpu?

Thanks for any input!

Solution
Current motherboards do not have integrated graphics. They support processors that have integrated graphics, so if your processor doesn't have graphics, the graphic output ports on the motherboard will not work.

What motherboard and CPU do you have?

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Current motherboards do not have integrated graphics. They support processors that have integrated graphics, so if your processor doesn't have graphics, the graphic output ports on the motherboard will not work.

What motherboard and CPU do you have?

-Wolf sends

Solution

229Mick

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Ah, that may well be the issue! (in my defense the last system I built was a 2nd gen i7 nearly ten years ago!)
The board is the ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, and the CPU is AMD Ryzen 5 3600X.

Found this as I searched: " their CPUs with on-board graphics will state it right on the box" so I'm guessing not, which is OK, I don't need that graphics adapter as I got an addin card, just wanted to be sure what I have is working properly.

Thanks for your help!

TRENDING THREADS