Can I choose my own modem with frontier dsl

Futuristic_MC

Reputable
Jul 19, 2016
Ok, so frontier finally decided to install dsl on my road so i can finally get no data caps. But i am wanting to choose my own modem since i'm a gamer. Since I can't find a specific answer anywhere i'm asking here and if I can what netgear modems will work with frontier, I only want netgear.

USAFRet

Titan

What modems are on their recommended list?
Also, know the difference between a modem, a router, and a modem/router.
Generally, a standalone modem makes little to no difference.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I also have Frontier. Their default DSL unit is a Netgear 7550 router modem that is no longer supported by Netgear. And where I live the advertise speeds of 6, 12 and 15 Mbps but refuse to install anything faster than 3 Mbps. FYI - Frontier is mostly the former General Telephone. That company was known as GTE. Everyone around here said that meant Genuinely Terrible Equipment / Experience. Frontier has not changed that opinion.

Futuristic_MC

Reputable
Jul 19, 2016
We have had it for a while now and oursa Actiontec F2250 and the connection type is ADSL2+ Bonded which is amazingly lucky which gives us 12mbps download With no phone phone connected. see what I mean by that here on my other post.http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3229634/dsl-splitter-compatible-bonded-adsl.html