Can I clean my air cooler( Noctua NH D15 S) with soap and water?

Solution
Top tip for the future is to regularly clean the cooler, then dust and such does not get a chance to build up, thus making cleaning all the more easy. I try to do mine once a month - even though i don't normally use the PC for much more than about 10-12 hours a week in total. This way so long as you are careful and remove the heat sink fans (clean separately) complete removal of the cooler is not necessary.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
not a good idea if it is still on the motherboard.

Also you don't want to water getting near your fans either.

I suggest take fan off and get dust off with gentle vacuum cleaner (suck the dust not blow). Use a cotton earbud to dislodge dust.

If you get your dust wet then it will become mud and be more difficult to remove.

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

Compressed air barely get everything out on the inside of the heatsink. I intend to disconnect the cooler from the cooler fan and the PC component for cleaning.

You run a higher risk of causing corrosion on the aluminum and copper components on the heatsink, its not a good idea.
Not only would it potentially harm the cooler, you likely would just turn the dust into glue on the internal parts of the heatsink.

What compressed air did you use? If the buildup was that bad, then you likely have some other issues you need to take care of.

Blaze_1

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
Both aluminum and copper are not that reactive to water. You can clean them with water, but you want to dry them off quickly afterwards. A hair dryer can work for this. The problem is actually, if you can't get it with compressed air, water may cause the debris to turn muddy and stick harder. I personally, used to blow them out with a compressor (used in automotive applications.) In this case, it's important to gently compress the cooler in your hands so that fins don't come flying off. (If you are bending fins, you are doing it too hard. You just need to hold them in place.)

neverumindnow

Reputable
May 29, 2015

The aluminum already has it's protective transparent patina of oxidation. Washing then drying it will not cause any further corrosion. Not sure about the copper.

Blaze_1

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015

Copper is listed in the noble metal family because of it's reaction resistance chemically. You need acid for Copper to be impacted. Water is not enough to create a reaction. Aluminum is used in cars, it's relatively nonreactive It will create an initial coat, that is still high in it's thermal exchange capabilities. That coat on aluminum will form regardless of water or air. Basically means that it has it's own galvanization, preventing it from additional oxidation.

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-2-Green-FBA-Multi-Use-Electric-Computer/dp/B00V8S9XU6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1532496692&sr=8-3&keywords=xpower+blower

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

Can I use soap and water without alkaline?

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

So soap and water safe to use on Noctua NH D15 S air cooler?

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

My air cooler have these materials: Copper (base and heat-pipes), aluminium (cooling fins), soldered joints & nickel plating. Its Noctua NH D15 S.

Blaze_1

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
Water and Soap is safe on aluminum and copper. Just make sure you don't let it set in water. You can speed the dry off using a hair dryer. Treat it like you'd treat your hair when you do it though. Hold it a few inches away, and be patient while getting at the cooler from different areas.

Blaze_1

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
Compressed air is sooo much better than soap and water. But, with soap and water, you can't get between the fins. It can be done, but, you can just get a can of compressed air or a cheap 1 to 3 gallon compressor air compressor. (Harbor Freight has them for 44-55 dollars, and yes they are cheaply made, but you can inflate your tires with it too. They are not reliable in a garage, with impact wrenches and the like, but great for dusting.)

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

The compressed air can and compressor tank are expensive as hell. I don't think you need to spend $200+ on a compressor air tank to clean a CPU air cooler. A blower can be used to clean dust as well. The one I listed can clean CPU air cooler, but not the tough one stuck deep inside the fin.

Kenton82

Reputable
Top tip for the future is to regularly clean the cooler, then dust and such does not get a chance to build up, thus making cleaning all the more easy. I try to do mine once a month - even though i don't normally use the PC for much more than about 10-12 hours a week in total. This way so long as you are careful and remove the heat sink fans (clean separately) complete removal of the cooler is not necessary.

Solution

dragonstar914

Proper
Jun 24, 2018
I referb computers as a hobby. I would try DustOff or some kind of compressed air first unless it's quite dirty. Remove the cooler and it's fan(s). Use a little dish soap and a brush to get in between the fins. Rinse well and shake or sling and wipe off as much water as you can and air drying is fine or use a hair dryer. Make sure it is TOTALLY dry before reinstalling.

It's that simple. If you use a mild soap like dish soap and get as much water off as you can corrosion is not an issue at all. Pay no attention to the people fretting about corrosion, it's silly.

rich1051414

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
I repaired and refurbished computers for 15 years on the side. Take the CPU cooler off the motherboard, remove all the fans, take it outside, and hit it with a water hose. Leave it in the sun to dry. Don't worry, you won't damage it one bit.

stavros58

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Take it to a garage with an air compressor if you really have too. Don't wash it because water has minerals and metals in it which is why they mess up mobile phones if you drop them in water, being perfectly dry doesn't remove the deposits unless you use a proprietary cleaner on the heat sink such as Arctic Silver ArctiClean Thermal Material Cleanser then it will be fine. Heck take it in the shower with you just don't let your partner or family see you they may get you sectioned.