Can I close Explorer window by opening a document?

mrbutt89

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Hi. I'm just wondering if there's any way I can reduce the clutter of windows on my desktop when running applications.

In the good old days of RISC-OS (Remember Acorn?) I could close a directory window automatically at the same time as double-clicking on a file icon to open a document. Quite often, when I've opened a document, there's no need to go back to the directory window it came from, so there's no point still having the window open in the background. (I can use the Start Menu>Recent list to reopen the file at a later date if need be, although I'm often working with downloaded files on a once-only basis, so there's no need.)

I'm familiar with the Ctrl-DoubleClick technique in Windows Explorer to keep one directory open whilst opening a sub-directory, but is there a way of achieving my aim of closing the Explorer window automatically when opening a document?

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

No way to do it that I know of, but in my experience with Windows 7, the navigation works in such a way that it's really difficult to have more than one Explorer window open unless you intentionally open them.

By pinning the Explorer icon to the taskbar, you should be able to close all open Explorer windows with a single click.

There's also a nifty feature built into Aero that very few people seem to use or know about, called Aero Shake. You grab the window you want to work with, and shake it from side-to-side with the mouse. This will minimise (but not close) all other open windows.

mrbutt89

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011

A good suggestion. Aero Shake is grossly under-used by me! At least it will minimise the extraneous windows, even if it won't close them.

mrbutt89

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion. I can do that, of course, but it still leaves the Explorer window open that I'm trying to get rid of.

Hello, Matthew,

Windows does have a tendency to make a mess out of explorer windows. While I can't find an elegant solution for this, my advice to get proficient on windows keyboard shortcuts.

Making good use of CTRL+W (close window), ATL+TAB, WIN+M(minimize all windows) and WINDOWS+E(open windows explorer) may help you organize, way faster than a mouseclick would.

If you press CTRL+W fast enough after double-clicking your document, before the focus changes to the program that is opening, you can close the explorer window as you want to. You have to be fast though, or you risk closing something you just opened.

mrbutt89

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011

Thanks. I'll hone my motor skills accordingly. :)

TRENDING THREADS