[SOLVED] Can I Combining 2 different 8gb ram from Kingston ( HX424C15FB2/8 and HX432C16FB3/8 )

Jul 5, 2021
I wanted to increase ram in my system , the one installed is an 8gb (HX424C15FB2/8), couldn't find the same ram to combine it with , so would it work fine if I combine it with an 8gb(HX432C16FB3/8).
would I experience any performance drop if combine these 2 different 8gb ram from Kingston ( HX424C15FB2/8 and HX432C16FB3/8).

Solution
While I haven't used Kingston RAM specifically, in the past I've found that I don't have any issues if I have 2 sticks of RAM from the same manufacturer as long as they are similar spec. The computer I'm typing this on has an 8GB and a 16GB stick from Team Group that are slightly different spec (and size, obviously). In this case they both use memory chips from the same manufacturer (Micron) and are ranked the same (single-rank), which seem to be the 2 biggest things for dual channel compatibility. In the past I've also crossed different sticks of RAM from G.Skill and Samsung without problems. Just check to make sure the memory chips and rankings are the same on those memory sticks.

As to whether you would have a performance drop...

froggx

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
While I haven't used Kingston RAM specifically, in the past I've found that I don't have any issues if I have 2 sticks of RAM from the same manufacturer as long as they are similar spec. The computer I'm typing this on has an 8GB and a 16GB stick from Team Group that are slightly different spec (and size, obviously). In this case they both use memory chips from the same manufacturer (Micron) and are ranked the same (single-rank), which seem to be the 2 biggest things for dual channel compatibility. In the past I've also crossed different sticks of RAM from G.Skill and Samsung without problems. Just check to make sure the memory chips and rankings are the same on those memory sticks.

As to whether you would have a performance drop, judging by the names of the sticks, the one you are looking at adding has higher latencies (CL 16 vs 15), which is slower, but I think it might also be higher bandwidth (3200 vs 2400), so its likely the latency would be better at lower bandwidth (I'm not too familiar with kingston naming schemes so I could be wrong). If your BIOS configures the RAM by looking at SPD then it will set both sticks to the same timings, whichever is slower, so there wouldn't be any tiny timing differences. The net gain in performance from going to single channel 8GB to dual channel 16GB would greatly exceed anything you might lose if your system slows down the timings a little. Unless you are planning on hitting your RAM with an OC or you have some underlying issue with your system, you should be fine.

Last edited:
Solution