[SOLVED] Can I connect a CPU fan to my Corsair Commander Pro hub

phantom27

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
I just purchased the Corsair Commander Pro Hub and a Great Wall X120 series CPU RGB fan. I am wanting to know if I can plug the CPU fan into the Corsair Commander Pro hub instead of the CPU fan port on the motherboard.

Solution
I recommend you do NOT do that.

A mobo has at least two different fan automatic control systems. One is specifically for the CPU chip and it is guided by a temperature sensor built into the CPU. Then there's another (sometimes more than one) for case ventilation fans, and those are guided by a different sensor on the motherboard. You always want the CPU chip cooling guided by the CPU chip internal sensor using the CPU_FAN header.

Beyond that, every fan header has an important additional function. It monitors the fan's speed signal for FAILURE and sends you a warning message if a fan fails (shows zero speed). But on most mobos the way this is done for the CPU particularly is more intense, and this ONLY happens on the CPU_FAN header. On...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I recommend you do NOT do that.

A mobo has at least two different fan automatic control systems. One is specifically for the CPU chip and it is guided by a temperature sensor built into the CPU. Then there's another (sometimes more than one) for case ventilation fans, and those are guided by a different sensor on the motherboard. You always want the CPU chip cooling guided by the CPU chip internal sensor using the CPU_FAN header.

Beyond that, every fan header has an important additional function. It monitors the fan's speed signal for FAILURE and sends you a warning message if a fan fails (shows zero speed). But on most mobos the way this is done for the CPU particularly is more intense, and this ONLY happens on the CPU_FAN header. On many mobos (not all), no speed signal from the fan header is interpreted to mean failure of CPU cooling that might result in very rapid temperature rise and even permanent damage to the CPU chip. So it may send out the warning prominently, then in a very short time simply shut the system down without even waiting for a high temperature to be detected inside the CPU chip. Some such systems also will refuse to let you start up if there is no speed signal on the CPU_FAN header right after power is turned on.

For both reasons, your real CPU cooler always should be connected to the CPU_FAN header. Use the Commander Pro system for case ventilation fans.

Reactions: Sagittariusss
Solution