Can I connect a moca adapter directly to a verizon fios ont box?

SnoochieBooch

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Ok, so a friend of mine just built an addition on the top of his garage and we're trying to get internet into said addition of space. The verizon ont box is in the garage itself so we figured we could just hook up a moca adapter to the ont box with coax cable and then run ethernet cable up into the room. None of this has worked so far and im out of ideas. Is it not possible to use just a moca adapter? Do I need a bi directional coax splitter and a modem?

Solution
At the ONT, put a splitter.
1 leg going to the house as it is now, 1 leg going to a MOCA-ethernet converter (in the garage). See what happens.

Leave out any other routers, etc.

SnoochieBooch

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

I'm not sure if i follow what you mean. The way the ONT box is set up currently is that it's in the garage. The garage is not attached to the house though. A coax cable is currently running from the ont box to the house (I'm assuming underground or something of the like) I wanna know how i could possibly get 2 separate connections running from the ONT box. I had read that the MOCA adapter could be plugged directly into the ONT box and then run an ethernet cable from the MOCA adapter to a router. We already ran ethernet cable through the walls up to the new addition that was added onto the garage. I was also told that the ethernet port on the ONT box can't work if you're already using the coax connection. Forgive me if I'm way off base because networking is one of my weaker subjects.

TBH I'm not too certain; the ONTs where I am don't have any coax connection...

I think that the coax port on the ONT is only for TV signal; you're expected to use the ethernet for broadband. If you then attach a MoCA converter to the ethernet jack and another at the other end of your coax run, you can connect it to your router.

It is said verizon uses moca already to deliver the signal from the ont to the router/tv. Your problem in either case is you can only hook 1 device directly to the ont because verizon will only give you a single ip address. Not sure if they offer the ability to get 2 ip addresses. What you can likely do is move the router to the garage and connect the ONT directly to the router. Then you should be able to buy a pair of moca adapters and hook them to the lan port of the router and the coax going to the house. You would then place a router acting as a AP in the house on the remote moca device.

USAFRet

Titan
Here is a typical FiOS schematic:
46phh9f.jpg

Note that you CAN have both coax and ethernet directly off the ONT, but that ethernet would go directly to the FiOS router. Ethernet is not required...everything can run directly off the coax if desired. Which it sounds like what you have.

With another MOCA device, I believe you can plug that in off any coax splitter in the chain. It still talks back to the main FiOS router for DHCP, etc.
I have a accessory MOCA-ethernet converter, but have yet to plug it in.

So...in your situation, referring to the pic above:
The "2 way splitter/combiner" could instead be a 3 way, and located in the garage. The MOCA-ethernet device hangs off one leg of that, providing ethernet in the garage, and the rest goes as it does now.

USAFRet

Titan

Just good quality ones. Recently, I went to the nearest Verizon wireless store to buy some for my ongoing house rewiring, and they gave me a handful for free. I see nothing special about them.

USAFRet

Titan

Not really. I have a single coax running from the ONT in the garage to the FiOS router at the other end of the house. Everything after that is no different than multiple Cat5e lines running off the router, and 1 or more coax lines running to the bedrooms upstairs for TV.

I'm going to connect the little MOCA adapter upstairs and see how it works. COAX splitter in one room, 1 leg to that rooms STB, and the other leg to the MOCA.

SnoochieBooch

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

FJlnid4.jpg

I know this is a crude diagram but this is how things are currently set up. So I have no way of connecting the fios router directly to the new addition of the garage, which is where we want the internet. I tried connecting a router directly to the ethernet port on the ONT box but we didn't get any kind of connection from it. I just figured I could connect the MOCA adapter directly to the coax plug on the ONT box, then attach the coax cable running over to the house into the "out" coax of the MOCA adapter. That way I could just plug the ethernet cable we ran threw the wall into the moca adapter and then into a router in the room above the garage.

SnoochieBooch

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

Does it need to be a specific splitter? From what I read up on, I thought it would have to be a bi-directional splitter.

USAFRet

Titan
This is the main splitter in my house. The "In" line is direct from the ONT. The other 3 are 1. to the ActionTec router, 2. to the main STB/DVR, 3. coax to upstairs to distribute to bedroom.
yc3lOUl.jpg

These are some of what the Verizon store gave me, free.
qa50aUq.jpg