Question Can I connect a PCI soundcard to a laptop's ExpressCard slot or eSata slot?

Sep 20, 2019
Hello!

I have an M-Audio Delta 1010LT PCI sound card (Here's a review so you can see it - https://www.gearslutz.com/board/reviews/715065-m-audio-delta-1010lt.html) which is in my now very tired Dell T3400 workstation, which since the upgrade to Windows 10 can't really cope anymore. I'd like to use the sound card in my HP Elitebook 8570w instead (Link to manual -http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03905828.pdf) which has an ExpressCard slot and eSata slot amongst others.

Is there a connector or method I can use? When I have looked for connectors on IT supply sites, I get fairly lost. There seems to be lots of connectors for PCI to PCI-e but I don't think that's what I need. If I can get my old soundcard to work on my laptop it will save me a load of money as replacing it with another 10-input/10-output soundcard would cost hundreds, plus another PC on top of that, then probably a different version of ProTools as the version I have is tied to the M-Audio sound card, it's starting to mount up!

What would you recommend?

Many thanks.

Somebody asked here couple of weeks ago a similar question but for SoundBlaster, and I don't think there was an answer. I don't think such an "adapter" (it would be a really box) actually exist. Also, have you checked whether there is drivers support for the OS your HP is using?

But the link you've provided contains this sentence (boldface mine):
For those worried about expansion, there is an attachment for the Delta 1010 called the Delta 1010-AI. It will convert the Delta 1010 into an 8x8 ADAT box, no longer requiring the PCI-Card. The Delta 1010-AI's are hard to find, vs. Third Party Delta 1010 ADAT Converters.

Sep 20, 2019
Hi Alabalcho, thanks for your reply.
The soundcard works in Win10 if you run ProTools in Win7 compatability mode.
I'm afraid I have no idea what an 8x8 ADAT box is. Can you explain how this might help me connect the soundcard to the laptop?
Thanks again! :)