Question Can I connect a VGA monitor to my new HDMI motherboard?

May 23, 2022
Good day, everyone! I recently bought myself a "ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING II" motherboard but completely glazed over that my current monitor is a VGA when the board only has a HDMI port. Is there a cable that I need to buy in order to convert the monitor (VGA) to HDMI?

Many thanks!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Good day, everyone! I recently bought myself a "ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING II" motherboard but completely glazed over that my current monitor is a VGA when the board only has a HDMI port. Is there a cable that I need to buy in order to convert the monitor (VGA) to HDMI?

Many thanks!

Look for an HDMI to VGA cable that's explicitly labeled "active." It requires digital to analog conversion, so it's more than just finding a cable to change the connector.

Also, if you haven't already, make sure you're using one of the CPUs with integrated graphics. Ryzen CPUs without a G in the name do not have integrated graphics, so you will get no signal from the motherboard.

Reactions: TheRelentlessHunter
May 23, 2022
Look for an HDMI to VGA cable that's explicitly labeled "active." It requires digital to analog conversion, so it's more than just finding a cable to change the connector.

Also, if you haven't already, make sure you're using one of the CPUs with integrated graphics. Ryzen CPUs without a G in the name do not have integrated graphics, so you will get no signal from the motherboard.

This was INCREDIBLY helpful! Yes, I purchased the Ryzen 5600G so I have integrated graphics. Thank you so much for your help!