Can I connect an old router to Powerline adapter to have a wifi zone?

yashagarwal83

Reputable
May 20, 2015
Hello,

I have an old Netgear router which I no longer use. I have moved to a new house which is double storied. When I connect my router on the first floor, I do not get proper wifi range on the ground floor.
I have got a powerline adapter which does not have the wifi feature. Though it works with the Ethernet cable to connect my SMART TV downstairs but I want to create a wifi zone as well so my other devices can connect to the wifi.
Can I connect my old Netgear router to the powerline adapter via the Ethernet cable and use it as a wifi hotspot? Do I need to go any setting on my old router like disabling anything?
Sorry I am not an expert in networking hence need some hand holding.

Thanks for the help.

kanewolf

Titan
Yes. Some routers make it easy to convert to an access point (one button in the GUI) others, you have to do it manually. There are lots of articles about the steps necessary to turn a router into an access point. Google your Netgear model and "access point" for specific instructions.

yashagarwal83

Reputable
May 20, 2015

Thanks mate. My old Netgear model is N150 DGN1000.
By connecting this modem as an AP in the Powerline adapter in my living room, will it create a new wifi zone as stong as the original one?

kanewolf

Titan
You will want to use unique WIFI channels. I recommend starting with a unique SSID so that you can trouble shoot more easily. You can then switch to the same SSID, but you may not get phones or other "roaming" devices to pick the WIFI signal you think it should. Seamless wireless roaming with home WIFI gear is not very reliable or robust.