Can i connect both wifi and lan

jmaxwe00

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Can I connect my wireless pc to a access point give the pc a static ip and connect the same pc to a wired network over DHCP?

I need to be able to access this pc over teamview or join.me to work on the wireless access but the AP requires the pc to be on static.

Yes, you can do this, however you can only use one at a time. Usually when a pc is wired in, it will over-ride the wifi.

There are 2 ways to do this. You can set the adapter to a static IP, or in your router settings you can do a "DHCP Reservation" for the mac address on whatever interface you want to a static address, that way the AP will always give your PC the same IP address.

dbhosttexas

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
jmaxwe00, what operating system are you working with? What you are talking about is called "dual homing" and you should be able to do this with all modern operating systems, but the method for configuration obviously will differ.

For example, I have a CentOS 6.3 x86_64 box with gig LAN, and Wireless N adapters. I set the Wireless N adapter up as my default route, and the the gig connection talks to my backend network for things like backup, and working within my network...

jmaxwe00

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Win 7...I have a wireless smart remote that connects to a WAP for signal. In order for me to control maintenance on the remote i need to be able to connect to this WAP with my win 7 pc from remote desktop access which requires LAN. this is my scenario.

dbhosttexas

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
You mentioned the AP requires the pc to be on static. I assume you mean static IP addressing. Why not configure your WiFi connection with a static IP? That's the way I have mine set... Let me know if you need a walk through on that...