[SOLVED] Can I connect new RTX 3090 to HP z640?

Nov 19, 2020
I do have a HP z640 which currently runs TitanX Pascal with one 6pin and 8pin power connectors. I use a 6pin to 8pin converter for the 8pin one.

It also has a 925W PSU which, I assume, is enough for handling 3090.

The only constraint is that 3090 asks for 2-8pin connectors with max 375W consumption.

My idea is to buy another 6pin to 8pin converter and connect this card to my computer.

However, I am not an expert on these topics. So I don't want to damage any components.

Calling out to the people who know better, would that work?

As far as I read in terms of max power delivery there is no difference between 6pin and 8pin connectors. 8pin only has 2 more ground connections which tell the card to ask for more power. If this is true, it should be fine.

thanks for the answers...

Solution
In general adapters are a bad ideal. does your 6 pin connector actually have the 3 +12 volt wires some only have 2, as 6 pins are designed for 75 watts.

EDIT I did not look up[ the PSU in that PC but if I was going to spend 1500 bucks on a video card I would probably spend 150 more on a proper power supply but with HP this could also be a problem since they like to use non standard connectors instead of the standard 8 pin / 24 pin connectors for the boards.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
In general adapters are a bad ideal. does your 6 pin connector actually have the 3 +12 volt wires some only have 2, as 6 pins are designed for 75 watts.

EDIT I did not look up[ the PSU in that PC but if I was going to spend 1500 bucks on a video card I would probably spend 150 more on a proper power supply but with HP this could also be a problem since they like to use non standard connectors instead of the standard 8 pin / 24 pin connectors for the boards.

Last edited:
Solution
Nov 19, 2020

Can I assume my 6pins have 3x12V wires since it already runs TitanX Pascal with 6pin to 8pin converter?

But I'll look into that in more detail. Thanks for pointing that out.

I would not even risk buying RTX3090 if the PSU dose not have the right cables to connect it with and also do not even trust converters cables on an expensive GPU!. If you can afford to buy 3090 you can always add abit more and get brand new PSU if your computers lets due to dell and HP like putting there own stuff in there