Can I connect SCSI scanner to USB port with adapter

I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been using
on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.

I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the scanner
to a USB port on this new machine.

This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as they may
well be needed for other devices.

Any suggestions would be most welcome

VG

There is no such thing as a SCSI to USB adapter.

--
DaveW

"VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been using
> on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.
>
> I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
> conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the scanner
> to a USB port on this new machine.
>
> This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
> slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as they
> may
> well be needed for other devices.
>
> Any suggestions would be most welcome
>
> VG

There are PCI SCSI cards that will work with the Canon FS2710

If you are not going to buy a USB film scanner to replace the FS2710, then
you will have to use one of the PCI slots.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> There is no such thing as a SCSI to USB adapter.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> >I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been
using
> > on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.
> >
> > I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
> > conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the
scanner
> > to a USB port on this new machine.
> >
> > This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
> > slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as they
> > may
> > well be needed for other devices.
> >
> > Any suggestions would be most welcome
> >
> > VG

"VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been
using
> on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.
>
> I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
> conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the scanner
> to a USB port on this new machine.
>
> This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
> slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as they
may
> well be needed for other devices.
>
> Any suggestions would be most welcome
>
> VG

Adaptec USBXchange

Yes. Thanks for your suggestion.
Found Adaptec 'USB2Xchange' and ordered from Amazon

VG

> Yes. Thanks for your suggestion.
> Found Adaptec 'USB2Xchange' and ordered from Amazon
>
> VG
>

> "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > "VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> >> I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been
> > using
> >> on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.
> >>
> >> I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
> >> conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the
> >> scanner
> >> to a USB port on this new machine.
> >>
> >> This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
> >> slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as
they
> > may
> >> well be needed for other devices.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions would be most welcome
> >>
> >> VG
> >>

> > Adaptec USBXchange

Post back how you like it. I have a MATX M/B and may want to go that route
in the future. Adaptec is a little pricey but make excellent hardware.

> "VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Yes. Thanks for your suggestion.
>> Found Adaptec 'USB2Xchange' and ordered from Amazon
>>
>> VG
>>

>> "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> > "VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> > using

> they
>> > may

>> > Adaptec USBXchange
>> >

> Post back how you like it. I have a MATX M/B and may want to go that route
> in the future. Adaptec is a little pricey but make excellent hardware.

Yes. Please do post back. I wonder if it would enable me to connect my old
HP Scanjet 4C to my new PC.
Gord Schindler

"VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Found Adaptec 'USB2Xchange' and ordered from Amazon

I had a look at the adaptec site for 'USB2Xchange' .I note they mention SCSI
peripherals, but don't mention scanners explicitly. I can understand that a
disk / tape device can be converted to USB using a miniport SCSI driver:
these appear to Windows as a removable device. TWAIN data sources are often
another issue.

Has anyone actually got a scsi scanner working with its standard installed
TWAIN data source with one of these?

Stewart DIBBS

Did you check the FAQ for that thing?
http://ask.adaptec.com/cgi-bin/adaptec_tic.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=ynlgS9Ih&p_lva=&p_faqid=7887&p_created=1053264730&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTExJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9MyZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT0xMDAmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDI9MjEwJnBfY2F0X2x2bDE9fmFueX4mcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=

"VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Yes. Thanks for your suggestion.
> Found Adaptec 'USB2Xchange' and ordered from Amazon
>
> VG
>

> "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> "VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been
>> using
>>> on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.
>>>
>>> I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
>>> conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the
>>> scanner
>>> to a USB port on this new machine.
>>>
>>> This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
>>> slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as they
>> may
>>> well be needed for other devices.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be most welcome
>>>
>>> VG
>>>

>> Adaptec USBXchange

Castor

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004

"VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
d8njgn$3cq$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been using
> on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.
>
> I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
> conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the scanner
> to a USB port on this new machine.
>
> This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
> slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as they
> may
> well be needed for other devices.
>
> Any suggestions would be most welcome
>
> VG

I was able to connect an old Flat Scanner model Microtek Phantom4800 SCSI
via a USB1.1 to SCSI converter from PortGear.
It was working perfectly under WindowsMe with the current scanner drivers
and twain applications.

Now under windows XPproSP2, hardware wise it's still working (for SCSI disk
or removavable SCSI disk it works fine).

But, I'm getting problems with my old scanner because I don't have proper
drivers and utilities for Win XP ...

So good luck for your case.
Castor

"Castor" <castor2cod1@~hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
> d8njgn$3cq$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> >I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been
using
> > on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.
> >
> > I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
> > conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the
scanner
> > to a USB port on this new machine.
> >
> > This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
> > slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as they
> > may
> > well be needed for other devices.
> >
> > Any suggestions would be most welcome
> >
> > VG
> >
> I was able to connect an old Flat Scanner model Microtek Phantom4800 SCSI
> via a USB1.1 to SCSI converter from PortGear.
> It was working perfectly under WindowsMe with the current scanner drivers
> and twain applications.
>
> Now under windows XPproSP2, hardware wise it's still working (for SCSI
disk
> or removavable SCSI disk it works fine).
>
> But, I'm getting problems with my old scanner because I don't have proper
> drivers and utilities for Win XP ...
>
> So good luck for your case.
> Castor

You can most likely find the latest driver here:
http://www.support.microtek.com/

There is a new XP driver for ScanMaker 4800, maybe that is your model.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Castor

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004

>> I was able to connect an old Flat Scanner model Microtek Phantom4800 SCSI
>> via a USB1.1 to SCSI converter from PortGear.
>> It was working perfectly under WindowsMe with the current scanner drivers
>> and twain applications.
>>
>> Now under windows XPproSP2, hardware wise it's still working (for SCSI
> disk
>> or removavable SCSI disk it works fine).
>>
>> But, I'm getting problems with my old scanner because I don't have proper
>> drivers and utilities for Win XP ...
>>
>> So good luck for your case.
>> Castor

> You can most likely find the latest driver here:
> http://www.support.microtek.com/
>
> There is a new XP driver for ScanMaker 4800, maybe that is your model.
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Thanks for your attention , I'll check
Regards
Castor

Castor

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004

"CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
GcIse.1986$Nz2.110@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
> "Castor" <castor2cod1@~hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
>> d8njgn$3cq$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>> >I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been
> using
>> > on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.
>> >
>> > I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
>> > conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the
> scanner
>> > to a USB port on this new machine.
>> >
>> > This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
>> > slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as
>> > they
>> > may
>> > well be needed for other devices.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions would be most welcome
>> >
>> > VG
>> >
>> I was able to connect an old Flat Scanner model Microtek Phantom4800 SCSI
>> via a USB1.1 to SCSI converter from PortGear.
>> It was working perfectly under WindowsMe with the current scanner drivers
>> and twain applications.
>>
>> Now under windows XPproSP2, hardware wise it's still working (for SCSI
> disk
>> or removavable SCSI disk it works fine).
>>
>> But, I'm getting problems with my old scanner because I don't have proper
>> drivers and utilities for Win XP ...
>>
>> So good luck for your case.
>> Castor
>>

> You can most likely find the latest driver here:
> http://www.support.microtek.com/

Unfortunately this link no longer works ...
Castor

> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
> GcIse.1986$Nz2.110@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
>> "Castor" <castor2cod1@~hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
>>> d8njgn$3cq$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>> using

>> scanner

>>> I was able to connect an old Flat Scanner model Microtek Phantom4800
>>> SCSI
>>> via a USB1.1 to SCSI converter from PortGear.
>>> It was working perfectly under WindowsMe with the current scanner
>>> drivers
>>> and twain applications.
>>>
>>> Now under windows XPproSP2, hardware wise it's still working (for SCSI
>> disk
>>> or removavable SCSI disk it works fine).
>>>
>>> But, I'm getting problems with my old scanner because I don't have
>>> proper
>>> drivers and utilities for Win XP ...
>>>
>>> So good luck for your case.
>>> Castor
>>>

>> You can most likely find the latest driver here:
>> http://www.support.microtek.com/
>>
> Unfortunately this link no longer works ...
> Castor

It still works for me, try it again. This is a USA link, I do not know if it
works for the rest of the world. It is a link to support and not directly to
a specific scanner model.

This is the international gateway to Microtek.
http://www.microtek.com/

Select your region, then Support and Downloads.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

>> There is a new XP driver for ScanMaker 4800, maybe that is your model.
>>
>> --
>> CSM1
>> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
>> --

Castor

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004

>>> You can most likely find the latest driver here:
>>> http://www.support.microtek.com/
>>>
>> Unfortunately this link no longer works ...
>> Castor
>
> It still works for me, try it again. This is a USA link, I do not know if
> it works for the rest of the world. It is a link to support and not
> directly to a specific scanner model.
>
> This is the international gateway to Microtek.
> http://www.microtek.com/
>
> Select your region, then Support and Downloads.
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> --
>>
>>> There is a new XP driver for ScanMaker 4800, maybe that is your model.

BTW, my scanner is a Microtek Phantom 4800 ... I think it's a different
model than ScanMaker 4800 ???? Older ??

>>> Unfortunately this link no longer works ...
>>> Castor
>>
>> It still works for me, try it again. This is a USA link, I do not know if
>> it works for the rest of the world. It is a link to support and not
>> directly to a specific scanner model.
>>
>> This is the international gateway to Microtek.
>> http://www.microtek.com/
>>
>> Select your region, then Support and Downloads.
>>
>> --
>> CSM1
>> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
>> --

> BTW, my scanner is a Microtek Phantom 4800 ... I think it's a different
> model than ScanMaker 4800 ???? Older ??
> Castor

This is the link to Microtek Taiwan Driver downloads (English site), No
Windows XP, but there is Windows 9x/ME/NT. Windows XP is a version of NT.
http://202.39.72.2/Mii/Web/driver_download.php

They list 6 Phantom scanners, none are listed as 4800. They list 330, 336,
and C6.

The Microtek Europe site seems to be down.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Rank_Amecha

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Gord Schindler asked a long while back
"I wonder if it would enable me to connect my old
HP Scanjet 4C to my new PC.?"
Gord Schindler[/quotemsg]

Well Gord here is the definitive answer you were looking for back then.

How to Connect a (SCSI) HP Scanjet 3c/4c/6300c through the USB port by using a Adaptec USBXChange/USB2XChange USB-to SCSI adapter. (on WINXP)
It was very difficult to find the information that solved my problem despite numerous sites , HP support included, claiming the connection could not possibly work for the older SCSI scanners. It was ironic to find that the software that solves the problem is freely download able on the same HP support site.
The explanation was in German
but with a simple web translator (Firefox 2.006 Translator add-on) I was able to understand how the above interaction is not only possible but by using the suggested HP PrecisionScan Pro software/driver for SCSI and USB ver 2.03 (sj675en.exe) Which was originally intended for the ScanJet 6300c_cse/cxi/6350c/cse/cxi/6390c family of USB scanners. I ended up with a SCSI Scanjet 3c with superior functionality (USB 2.0 connectivity via the Adaptec USBXChange/USB2XChange
SCSI-to-USB adapter) and numerous additional scanning possibilities and controls due to the vastly superior PrecisionScan pro software.
In my case other devices in the SCSI chain had to be switched off to allow the scanner to function but since it is now USB Hot-pluggable this is a minor inconvenience.

Step by step guide:
1. Buy the USB2XChange Adaptec SCSI-to-USB adapter
2. Follow setup instructions on the pamphlet(Basically connect scanner(and any other scsi devices) to USB2XChange and Switch on SCSI devices > Connect USB2XChange to USB port> install drivers> reboot> install PrecisionScan pro software> Reboot)
3. Scan using your old (SCSI) HP Scanjet 3c/4c/6300c like you’ve never scanned before.

Ref. (http://74.6.146.244/babelfish/translate_url_content?lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a% 2f%2fde.nntp2http.com%2fcomp%2fhardware%2fscanner%2f2004%2f10%2f0b15bdd3661edd3e 06b92ce80e1a92b3.html )

iscaisca

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I recently decided to go laptop.

I have an epson gt7000 scsi flatbed and negative adapter, and a minolta scandual.

I could not find a usb2xchange, but founf a guy with 11 new usbxchange units ( just thesame but usb1 not 2 and who cares when scanning). I It has a facitly to plug in a 5v supply so you don't kill the usb liones in the laptop or you can use a powered hub.

The software for both scanners does not support xp let alone vista and neither does the usbxchange,.

however usbxchange works fine with xp and vista so i bought ed hamricks vue can, it supports hundreds of flatbed and film scanners and is a great little prog at around $40 once you get used to it, it is not twain based and there is a pro version for aroind $70 have a look on his site.

My usbxchange cost me £25 about $40 , and it all works fine on my laptop with vista.

will be trying it soon on win 7.

dave

Pres

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010

Hi Dave,

Any luck? I have one but it's not on the Windows 7 Hardware compatility list, so I'm hesitating about upgrading to the new Windows.

raino

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
I am trying to do the same thing you did, with a Scanjet 3c and an Adaptec USBXchange on a decent laptop running Vista Ultimate. I tried what you said, and it appears that the USBXchange device is working, but I can't get the scanner to work. It comes up FINDING the right scanner part number (HP C2520A) but when it asks me to load the drivers, it doesn't seem to accept anywhere I point it. Do you know what the exact scanjet driver file names are? I have had some success using drivers designed for XP on Vista.

Thanks for posting this, by the way. I hope I can get it working.

[...]

Ref. (http://74.6.146.244/babelfish/translate_url_content?lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a% 2f%2fde.nntp2http.com%2fcomp%2fhardware%2fscanner%2f2004%2f10%2f0b15bdd3661edd3e 06b92ce80e1a92b3.html )[/quotemsg]

Larry86

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
I recently upgraded xp to windows 7. I have Adaptec SCSI 2930 and was able to download a driver from Adaptec for the SCSI card. It installed properly with no problem. However, there is no driver for HP Scanjet 4c. I'll look around to see if PrecisionScan Pro or some other driver would work.

Larry