Question Can i connect the charger wires to the battery connector? (In the motherboard)

Shmuel Cohen

Honorable
Dec 27, 2014
Hello guys,

I need to know if i can connect the charger wires into the battery connector.
(my charging connector is not working and cannot be fixed cheaply)

so i thought maybe to connect the charging wires (2 red and 2 black) to the battery connector.

I hope this photo will make more sense:
View: https://i.imgur.com/ZOHGzaI.jpg

in the red circle: the charger connector which can't be connected to the charging connector on the board (long story...)
in the green circle: the battery connector on the board which working just fine

I wanted to cut the 2 black and red wires from the green circle (battery connector) and connect the 2 red and black wires from the red circle (the charger connector)
and my laptop will work only with wires.. that's okay for me.

Please lemme know if its possible, and if not, what can i do to make it possible?

I'm going to take a stab in the dark by saying: You definitely should not do this.

I don't know what your charger wires are routed to exactly, but I suspect you're likely to do damage by attempting to cross-pollinate the cables.

What exactly are you trying to do/why are you wanting to try this?

I wouldn't do this.

This is why.

I think most likely the two reds and blacks are just straight DC....and I think most likely unregulated.

In general you don't want to charge batteries with an unregulated charge because you can damage the battery.

I would imagine there is a charging circuit on the board....and by doing what you are suggesting....you would be bypassing this.

It's there for a reason....so the battery doesn't get damaged by an unregulated charge.

What's wrong with the charging port on the laptop? Is it broken off of the motherboard or something? Do you know how it got damaged?

The charger likely outputs higher voltage than the battery outputs to the system, so that might not be a good idea. It looks like that Lenovo Yoga's battery outputs 11.4 volts going by the picture, while I believe the chargers for them may output 20 volts.